LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.COM. DEGREE EXAMINATION – COMMERCE
THIRD SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
BU 3203 – BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
(COMMERCE SHIFT II ONLY)
Date : 09/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
SECTION – A
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS: (10×2=20)
- Define Proposition.
- Mention any four factors that can be give rise to complaints.
- What is a counter offer?
- Give the meaning of ‘Reprimand Interview’.
- Write the three possible attitudes that suppliers can have towards a complaint.
- Mention any two types of advertisement copy.
- How does language act as a barrier to effective communication?
- Distinguish between reference and testimonials.
- What is the meaning of “3 percent, 7 days”?
- What is an enclosure?
ANSWER ANY FIVE QUESTIONS: (5X8=40)
- Briefly explain the functions of business letters.
- How do marketers write effective sales letters?
- Draft an office circular emphasising the need of minimising the use of staff cars.
- Draft a suitable reply to a customer who has complained about the poor services of computers supplied by you.
- The commerce forum of your college plan to organize a two day seminar on the need to tackle inflation. Prepare a suitable handout to be issued to the press.
- As a retailer, draft a letter to Rainbow India Private Ltd., Calcutta, placing an urgent order with them for certain goods required for the forthcoming rainy season. Draw their attention to the need for prompt delivery.
- Explain the components of a Resume.
- What are the guidelines to be followed to make Advertisements attractive and effective?
ANSWER ANY TWO QUESTIONS: (2X20=40)
- (a) Explain the principles of communication.(10 marks)
(b) Apply these principles to develop effective telephone communication in an organisation. (10 marks)
- Draft an application to TCS, Chennai for the post of HR Manager specially emphasizing your effective management practices, good leadership styles and command over English.
- You are residing in an upcountry town. You read in the newspapers that Eastern and Western Stores Ltd., Mumbai, are holding their annual sale in the current month and you want to order some sports materials required by you. Write:
- A letter to Eastern and Western Stores Ltd., asking for their catalogue.(10 marks)
- A letter from Eastern and Western Stores Ltd., informing you that a catalogue has been sent and that the catalogue also contains usual business terms.(10 marks)
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: