LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & ZOOLOGY
FOURTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2006
CH 4202 – BIO-CHEMISTRY FOR BIOLOGIST
(Also equivalent to CHE 202)
Date & Time : 22-04-2006/9.00-12.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer ALL the questions. (10 X 2 = 20)
- What is isoelectric point?
- Give the structure of lecithin.
- How is C- terminal of a peptide determined?
- What are enzymes? How are they named?
- Mention the roles of the various types of RNA.
- What is a reducing sugar? Cite an example.
- Give the net reaction of glycolysis.
- Explain the enfleurage process.
- List the uses of camphor.
- Draw the structures of BHC and DDT.
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions only. (8 X 5 = 40)
- Discuss the secondary structures of proteins.
- Why do almost all enzyme catalyzed reactions show a pH optimum?
- Write a short note on the classification of lipids.
- What are anomers? Draw the anomeric structures of D-glucose and compare their stability.
- Mention the monosaccharide units present in the following sugars:
- Maltose b. Cellobiose c. Lactose d. Sucrose e. Starch.
- Discuss the different types of soil found in India.
- Write a short note on N, P and K fertilizers.
- Compare and contrast the two nucleic acids in their composition, secondary structure, bases present and their abundance in the body.
- Illustrate the importance of hydrogen bonding in the base pairs of nucleic acids.
- Write a short note on flavanoids.
- What is isoprene rule? Explain it with an example.
- Draw the geometrical isomers of citral. List the uses of citral.
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions only. (4 X 10 = 40)
- Discuss the kinds of enzyme inhibition.
- Discuss the citric acid cycle in detail.
- a. Calculate the net gain of ATP in glycolysis of one mole glucose. (3)
- Write a short note on muta rotation. (4)
- What is denaturation of proteins? What are the factors influencing it? (3)
- a. How are terpenoids classified? Give an example each. (5)
- Explain the structure, physical properties and uses of α- pinene. (5)
- a. What are cofactors? Brief the three kinds of cofactors with an example. (6)
- What is iodine value of oil? How is it determined? What is its significance? (4)
- “DNA makes RNA and RNA makes proteins” – establish this with respect to the biosynthesis of proteins.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: