LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SIXTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2006
CH 6602 – CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS
(Also equivalent to CHE 602)
Date & Time : 24-04-2006/9.00-12.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Answer all the questions. 10×2=20
- What are Bravais lattices?
- Differentiate type I and type II semiconductors.
- What are intrinsic semiconductors? Give an example.
- What is Curie-Weiss law?
- What is Meissner effect?
- Give two examples each of n-type or p-type metal oxide semiconductor.
- Define piezoelectric ceramics.
- How is radius ratio rule useful in determining the crystal structure?
- Define magnetic susceptibility.
- What is CVD technique?
Answer any eight questions. 8×5=40
- What are liquid crystals? Explain the different types of liquid crystals.
- How is the structure of compounds determined by powder method?
- Explain the crystal structure of perovksite with a neat diagram.
- Mention any five differences between hard and soft magnetic materials.
- What are ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic materials? Give examples.
- How is solar energy harnessed using photovoltaic cells?
- Describe the technique of crystal growth from solutions.
- An alkali metal crystallizes in a cubic lattice. The edge of the unit cell is 4.16Ao. The density is 975kg/m3 and its atomic weight is 23. Find the number of atoms in the unit cell and give your comment about the type of cubic cell.
- Draw and explain the crystal structure of NaCl.
- Describe the principle and fabrication of a transistor using n-p junction.
- How are TG and DTA useful in the structural determination of crystals? Give examples.
- What is Frenkel defect? Explain with an example.
Answer any four questions. 4X10=40
- What are the types of non-stoichiometric defects? Explain with examples.
- Draw and explain the structures of wurtzite and zinc blende. Mention the differences between them.
- Describe the hydrothermal growth and growth from melt methods for preparing crystals.
- Write a note on photoelectrocatalytic splitting and photo reduction of water.
- Explain BCS theory and Kirkendall effect.
- a) Mention any four types of Bravais lattices available depending upon the shapes of the unit cells? Explain with suitable examples.
- b) Explain photo galvanic studies using a heterobinuclear complex.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: