LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MATHEMATICS & PHYSICS
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
CH 3202 / 3200 – ADV. GENERAL CHEMISTRY FOR PHYS.& MATHS
Date : 05/05/2008 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer all the questions 10 x 2 = 20
- Why the molecular weight of acetic acid in benzene is 120?
- ‘Ethanol is soluble in water but not thiol’. Why?
- Draw the resonance structures of thiophene.
- How is aspirin prepared? Give the equation.
- Define enthalpy of combustion with an example.
- Define equivalent conductance.
- How is the presence of –OH groups in fructose determined?
- Give an example for the optical specificity of an enzyme.
- What is the role of humus in agricultural chemistry?
- How is DDT prepared?
Answer any eight questions 8 x 5 = 40
- What are the types of hydrogen bonding? Explain with examples.
- How is lanthanides extracted by ion exchange method?
- Write a note on the following.
- a) Vat dyes b) direct dyes.
- How is naphthalene prepared by Haworth synthesis?
- State Hess’s law and explain how the law is used to calculate the enthalpy of a reaction.
- How is malachite green prepared?
- Draw and explain saturated calomel electrode.
- How is conductometric titration helpful for the precipitation titrations?
- How is N-terminal of an amino acid determined by Sanger’s method?
- What is competitive inhibition? Explain with an example.
- Explain the different types of soil.
- Discuss the principle involved in the nuclear fission reaction.
Answer any four questions 4 x 10 = 40
- a) Explain the lanthanide contraction.
- b) Explain the mechanism of bromination of naphthalene. (4+6)
- What are chemotherapeutic drugs? Explain with examples.
- Define lattice energy. How is it determined?
- a) Derive Kirchoff’s equation.
- b) The molar conductance of sodium acetate, hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride at infinite dilution are 91.0´10-4, 426.16´10-4 and 126.45´10-4 Sm2mol-1 respectively at 25° Calculate the molar conductance at infinite dilution for acetic acid. (6+4)
- a) Describe the secondary structure of proteins.
- b) What are the factors affecting the enzymatic activity? Explain. (6+4)
- Explain the role of macro and micro nutrients in agricultural chemistry.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: