LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PL.BIO.&BIOTEC.&ADV.ZOO&BIOTECH.
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
CH 3104/ 3102 – CHEMISTRY FOR BIOLOGIST – I
Date : 07-05-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Answer ALL the questions. (10 x 2 =20 marks)
- Predict the hybridization and shape of the following molecules.
(a) BF3 (b) PCl5
- Draw the structure of the following complexes.
(a) tetraamminecopper(II) sulphate (b) Potassium hexacyanoferrate(III)
- Calculate the normality of a solution having 9.8g of H2SO4 in 2 litre water. (Equivalent weight of H2SO4 = 49)
- Define pH of a solution .What is the pH of pure water
- Differentiate order and molecularity of a reaction.
- Synthesis of ammonia is a heterogeneous catalysis reaction. Justify.
- Mention the optical properties of colloids.
- What is meant by coagulation? Give an example.
- How will you synthesise Terylene? Mention its use.
- Why tertiary carbonation is more stable than secondary and primary? Give reasons.
Answer any EIGHT questions. (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- Write a note on vander Waals forces.
- Explain the structure and function of hemoglobin.
- Discuss the structure of methane based on hybridization.
- (a) State the law of volumetric analysis. (2)
(b) 20ml of oxalic acid requires 19.8 ml of 0.095N of NaOH. Calculate the weight
of crystalline oxalic acid present in 500ml of the given solution. (3)
- What is a buffer solution? Discuss the buffer action of a mixture of ammonium hydroxide hydroxide and ammonium chloride.
- Derive the rate expression for the rate constant of a first order reaction.
- (a) Define t1/2 of a second order reaction. (3)
(b) What is a zero order reaction? Give an example. (2)
- Write a note on electro osmosis.
- (a) How will you prepare ferric hydroxide sol by peptisation method? (3)
(b) Write any two applications of colloids. (2)
- Define inductive effect. Mention its types with examples.
- What are polymers? Explain the classification of high polymers giving one example of each.
- Discuss the optical activity in lactic acid.
Answer any FOUR questions. (4 ´ 10 = 40 marks)
- (a) Explain Werner’s theory of coordination complexes. (6)
(b) Draw all possible isomers of [Rh(en)2Br2]+ complex. (4)
- (a) Discuss the types of hydrogen bonding with suitable examples. (6)
(b) Discuss the structure of NaCl unit cell. (4)
- (a) What are primary and secondary standard solutions. (4)
(b) What is common ion effect? Give an example. (3)
(c) Is NaOH a primary standard? Explain your answer. (3)
- Discuss the kinetics of enzyme catalysed reaction.
- (a) Define the following:
 Enantiomers  Diastereomers  Resolution of racemic mixtures (2+2+2)
(b) Explain the isomerism exhibited by maleic and fumaric acids. (4)
- (a) What are the defects of crude natural rubber? Explain with equation how are they overcome? (6) (b) Discuss any two method of expressing the concentration of a solution. (4)
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: