LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIRST SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
CH 1503 (CONCEPTS IN INORGANIC CHEMISTRY)
Date : 06-05-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer ALL the questions. (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- State Heisenberg uncertainity principle.
- Explain diagonal relationship of elements in the Periodic Table.
- Write election dot formula for (i) PCl5 (ii) O2
- Describe the structure of XeF6 using VSEPR theory.
- What is the relationship between ionization porential of an element and election affinity of an element in favouring the formation of an ionic compound between them?
- Bromides and iodides have higher lattice energies than expected from theoretical calculations. Give reasons.
- What are Hume – Rothory rules?
- Why does ice float in water?
- Label as acid or base; AlCl3, HSO4–, Ag+
- What are aprotic solvents? Give 2 examples.
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions. (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- What are radial and angular wave functions? What information can we get from these functions.
- How do you determine the electronegativity of elements using Pauling method?
- Explain with example electrolytic reductions in aqueons and non-aqueous media.
- How is the lattice energy of a solid determined from Born-Haber cycle?
- What are Fajan’s rule? How do they help in explaining covalent character of ionic compounds?
- Using VSEPR theory illustrate the structure of (a) ICl2– (b) XeF4
- Draw MO energy diagram for CO molecule. Calculate the bond order in CO molecule.
- Discuss resonance e– dot structures of carbonate ion.
- Discuss the crystal structure of CsCl.
- Write a note on clathrates.
- Balance the following chemical reactions by oxidation number method.
- Describe (a) Lux-flood concept (b) Solvent – system Concept of acid, bases.
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions. (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- What are quantum numbers? Explain how they are derived. Describe the significance of quantum numbers.
- How are the following factors affect the ionization potential of an element?
(a) atomic size (b) nuclear charge (c) screening effect (d) electronic configuration.
- (a) Draw MO energy diagram for NO molecule. Calculate the bond order.
(b) Of the species O2, O2+, O2–, O22-, which will have maximum bond strength? Explain based on MO theory.
- (a) Explain with two examples, the exception to octet rule.
(b) Discuss the hybridization involved and structure of (i) NH3 (ii) SF4
- (a) How does band theory explain the property of metal, semi-conductor and insulator?
(b) What are types of hydrogen bonding? Explain with examples.
- What are the characteristic of liq Ammonia as a solvent? Describe any four types of reactions taking place in liq. NH3 with two examples each.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: