LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SIXTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
CH 6601 – COORDINATION CHEMISTRY
Date : 21/04/2008 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer all the questions: 10 x 2 = 20
- Calculate CFSE value for high spin Mn2+ octahedral complex.
- What is meant by spin – orbit coupling?
- ‘The electron transfer from [Co(NH3)6]2+ to [Co(NH3)6] 3+ is extremely slow’. Explain
- Give two examples for photoredox reactions.
- How is ferrocene prepared? Draw its structure.
- Explain cis effect with an example.
- Write two examples for Metal template synthesis.
- Draw the structure of (a) Fe3(CO)12 (b) Co4(CO)12
- What is the biological significance of peroxidases?
- What are the contrast agents used in MRI?
PART – B
Answer any Eight questions: 8 x 5 = 40
- Describe the CF splitting of metal d – orbitals in tetrahedral field of ligands.
- State John-Teller theorem. Explain why Cu2+ does not form regular octahedral complex while Ni2+
- What are the experimental evidences for overlapping between metal and ligand orbitals? Explain with examples.
- Discuss the splitting of metal d-orbitals in square planar complex.
- Explain dissociative mechanism of ligand substitution reactions in octahedral complex with suitable example.
- What are photoisomerisation reactions? Explain with two examples.
- How are cis-and trans – isomers of [Pt(NH3)2Cl2] prepared?
- Write the name and draw the structure for the following
- [Pt(C6H5-C º C-C6 H5) (PPh3) 2]
- Be(C5H5) 2
- What is Wilkinson’s catalyst? Describe the hydrogenation an alkene using it.
- Discuss the bonding in (a) metal carbenes (b) Metal alkyls.
- Write a note on iron-molybdenum center in nitrogenase enzyme.
- Explain chelate therapy with examples.
PART – C
Answer any FOUR Questions: 4 x 10 = 40
- What are the principles of MO theory as applied to complexes? Construct MO energy level diagram for [Co(NH3)6]3+ and explain why it is a diamagnetic complex.
- Define inner-sphere electrom transfer reaction. Explain the mechanism involved with a suitable example. What are the experimental evidences for inter sphere electron transfer reactions?
- (a) Describe the factors affecting crystal field stabilization Energy in complexes.
(b) What are complimentary and non-complimentary electron transfer reactions? Give two examples.
- (a) Write a note on cis-and trans-effect in synthesis of octahedral complex.
(b) Describe template synthesis of metal phthalocyanins.
- Describe in detail about bonding in metal carbonyls.
- (a) Write a note on Zeigler-Natta catalyst and its synthetic application.
(b) Discuss the structure and functions of carboxypeptidase – A.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: