LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SIXTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
CH 6604 – NATURAL PRODUCTS
Date : 23/04/2008 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer all the questions. (10 ´ 2 = 20)
- Write the products obtained when anthracene is reduced using sodium –amalgam and isopentanol.
- Give the name and structure of any two very potent cancer producing polycyclic hydrocarbons.
- Give the products obtained when pyridine reacts with sodium amide.
- How wil you determine the number of double bonds present in the alkaloid piperine.
- What is isoprene rule ? Indicate the isoprene units in the structure of citral.
- How will you synthesize α- terpineol from α -pinene.
- What are purines ? Write the structure of Caffeine.
- Give any two biological importance of anthocyanins.
- Write the products obtained when uric acid is oxidized using dil.HNO3.
- Write the structure of cyanidine chloride
PART – B
Answer any Eight questions (8 ´ 5 = 40)
- How will you synthesize anthracene from Phthalic anhydride using Friedel – Craft’s reaction.
- Complete the following reactions.
- i. How is thiophene manufactured from acetylene ?
- How will you synthesise quinoline using Skraup’s synthesis method.
- i. Explain why are pyrrole,furan and thiophene classified as aromatic compounds.
- How will you prepare pyridine from pyrrole.
- Identify the products in the following reactions.
- Quinoline A
- Pyridine + Acetyl chloride B
iii. Pyridine + C6H5 Li C
- i. What happens when citral is subjected to oxidation with Alk. KMnO4 followed by chromic acid? Write the name and structure of the products formed.
- What happens when menthol is heated with KHSO4
- Briefly discuss the constitution of Geraniol.
- i. What are terpenes ? How are they classified ?
- How will you establish the position of double bonds in citral.
- Write short notes on Flavones and Flavonoids.
- Give any one method for the synthesis of cyanidine chloride.
- How will you synthesize Xanthine from urea using Traube’s method.
- i. What are the products obtained when Caffeine is oxidized using potassium chlorate in HCl.
- How will you synthesize Caffeine from uric acid using Fischer method.
PART – C
Answer any four questions. ( 4 ´ 10 = 40 )
- Elucidate the structure of phenanthrene. Confirm it by Haworth and Pschorr’s synthesis.
- i. Deduce the orbital structure of pyrrole.
- Give any one method for the synthesis of piperine.
- Elucidate the structure of menthol.
- What are anthocyanins? Discuss the structure and any two general methods of synthesis of anthocyanins.
- Establish the structure of iso-quinoline.
- Elucidate the structure of uric acid.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: