LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SIXTH SEMESTER – April 2009
CH 6608 / 6602 – CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS
Date & Time: 23/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer ALL the questions: (10 x 2 = 20)
- Define coordination number in ionic crystals.
- Sketch the unit of fcc and bcc structures.
- What is CVD?
- Give any two types of thermograms in TGA.
- With an example, explain photoluminescence.
- Mention any two organic semiconductors.
- What is Curie temperature?
- Indicate the following as diamagnetic or paramagnetic and give reason.
- Cite any two examples for super conducting oxides.
- What are Polarons?
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions: (8 x 5 = 40)
- With a neat diagram explain the structure of wurtzite.
- Discuss the different types of indices used in crystallography.
- What is hexagonal close packed structure? Explain.
- Write a note on Czochralski method of crystal growth.
- Enlist the applications of SEM.
- Derive an expression for intrinsic carrier concentration.
- Explain the types of ferroelectric crystals.
- Discuss curve point and exchange integral.
- Bringout the differences between ferro and ferri magnetic substances.
- Discuss Bardeen, Cooper and Schrieffer theory.
- Listout the applications of superconducting materials.
- Explain the working of (i) Sodium-sulphur battery
(ii) Lithium battery
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions: (4 x 10 = 40)
- Discuss the types and applications of liquid crystals.
- What is magnetic susceptibility? How is it determined?
- Explain the types of defects in solid state.
- Explain the principle and application of TGA and DTA.
- a) Tabulate the Bravais lattices in crystal systems with examples.
- b) Write briefly on solar energy conversion. (5+5)
- Write notes on any two of the following
- Meissner effect
- X-ray diffraction
- Liquid crystals (5+5)
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: