LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SIXTH SEMESTER – April 2009
CH 6611 / 6605 – INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY
Date & Time: 25/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer ALL questions: (10 x 2 = 20)
- Define calorific value of fuels.
- Explain: Gobar electric cell.
- How is 2, 4-D manufactured?
- Give two examples for biofertilisers.
- Define Break point chlorination.
- Which dissolved salts contribute for permanent hardness?
- What is acid rain? How is it caused?
- Describe the toxicity of mercury.
- What are the constituents of portland cement?
- What is a luminous paint? Give an example.
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions: (8 x 5 = 40)
- Write a note on Producer gas.
- How are coals classified? Give the composition of each type.
- What is DDT? How is it manufactured? Indicate its uses.
- Write a note on micronutrients and their role in the growth of plants.
- How do you estimate calcium hardness in water by EDTA method?
- How is water softened by zeolite process?
- Explain the principle involved and application of reverse osmosis.
- Describe how ozone depletion takes place in stratosphere.
- Give an account of BOD determination in waste water.
- What are the international standards for drinking water quality? How do they compare with ISI specifications?
- Write a note on perfumes and flavouring agents.
- Explain the functioning of molybdenum sulphide as a solid libricant.
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions: (4 x 10 = 40)
- a) Describe the determination of calorific value of a fuel by Bomb calorimeter (6).
- b) What are the uses of ETBE and MTBE (4).
- a) How are (a) Super phosphate of lime (b) Triple superphosphate manufactured? Which is superior? Why? (7)
- b) What is BHC? How is it manufactured? (3)
- a) Outline the process of refining of Petroleum (5)
- b) How do you prepare Bordeaux mixture? What is its composition? Mention its use. (5)
- a) How is total hardness of water estimated. (5)
- b) How are suspended impurities and micro organism removed from water used for drinking purpose? (5)
- a) Write a note on air pollution (5)
- b) Explain the biochemical effects of nitrogen oxides (5)
- a) What are abrasives? How are they classified? Give examples (5)
- b) Write a note on pharmaceutical industries in India.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: