LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2011
CH 3503/CH 4501 – MAIN GROUP ELEMENTS & SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY
Date : 25-04-2011 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer ALL questions. (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Give the carbonates and bicarbonates of sodium. Mention their uses.
- Explain the reaction of alkali metals with water with an example.
- Define catenation.
- Name any two types of glass. Give an example.
- What is superphosphate of lime?
- List the oxyacids of nitrogen and phosphorous.
- Draw the structure of BrF3.
- What are pseudohalogens? Give an example
- What are the coordination number of Na and Cl in Sodium Chloride?
- What are Miller indices?
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- Discuss the biological importance of alkali metals.
- How is beryllium extracted from its ore?
- Explain the reaction of Boron with oxygen?
- Discuss the bonding in diborane. (2 +3)
- How are carbides classified?
15 Give the properties and uses of a) Phosphine b) hydroxylamine.
- Discuss the preparation and properties of Caro’s and Marshall’s acid.
- Discuss the oxides of nitrogen.
- How is available chlorine in bleaching powder determined?
- Discuss the strength of oxoacids of halogens.
- Explain the Schottky and Frenkel defects of crystals.
21 Explain limiting radius ratio. How is it used to determine the geometry of ionic crystals?
- Draw the unit cells of sodium chloride and Zinc blende. Give their salient features.
Answer any FOUR questions (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- Give a comparative account of oxides, hydroxides, and hydrides of alkali metals.
- What are silicates? How are they classified?
- Write a note on acidic, basic, amphoteric and neutral oxides.
- a) How is ozone prepared? Discuss it structure and uses.
- b) How does aluminum react with dilute HCl and NaOH solutions.
- Discuss the structure of a.BrF5 b. ClF3 c. ICl d. IF3 using VSEPR theory.
- How is X-ray diffraction technique used to study the structure of crystals?
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: