LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIFTH SEMESTER – NOV 2006
CH 5401 – BIO CHEMISTRY
(Also equivalent to CHE 401/CH 520)
Date & Time : 01-11-2006/9.00-12.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer all the questions (10 ×2 = 20 marks)
- What are essential amino acids? Give any two examples.
- Define point mutation. Explain with respect to sickle cell anaemia.
- Mention the factors influencing enzyme action.
- What are waxes? Give example.
- Expand the terms EFA and PUFA. Give an example for each.
- Draw the pyranose structure of glucose and the furanose structure of fructose.
- ‘Glycogen highly branched whereas starch is not.’ Why?
- Explain the fork model for DNA replication.
- What are plasma proteins? Give example.
- Define the terms catabolism and anabolism.
PART – B
Answer any eight questions (8 × 5 = 40 marks)
- Give the structure and functions of the following organelles.
a) centriole b) lysosome c) chloroplast.
- How are proteins sequenced from the N-terminal using Edmann’s reagent and C- terminal using enzymes?
- Define enzyme immobilization. Explain the various methods of enzyme immobilization.
- Give the advantage of solid-phase peptide synthesis. Explain how peptides are synthesized by solid phase method.
- What are coenzymes? Explain the mechanism of coenzyme action.
- Explain the biosynthesis of cholesterol.
- Define the following with suitable examples
a) Hydrogenation of fats.
b) auto-oxidation of fats
c) saturated and unsaturated fatty acids.
- ‘Starch is edible whereas cellulose is not.’ Explain.
- Explain glycolysis.
- Differentiate between DNA and RNA.
- Explain the electron transport chain.
- How is blood coagulated?
PART – C
Answer any four questions (4 × 10 = 40 marks)
- Explain the following
a) Strecker’s synthesis of amino acids
b) Phthalimide synthesis of amino acids
c) Reaction of ninhydrin with amino acids
d) ornithine cycle
- What are inhibitors? Explain competitive, non-competitive and allosteric inhibitions.
- a) How are fatty acids biosynthesized?
b) How are triglycerides biosynthesized?
- a) Explain TCA cycle.
b) Define mutarotation and explain with reference to glucose.
- How are proteins biosynthesized?
- Explain the following
a) DNA replication.
b) The base pairing in DNA
c) DNA is the genetic material whereas RNA is not.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: