LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIRST SEMESTER – November 2008
CH 1500 – INORGANIC CHEMISTRY – I
Date : 12-11-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
PART – A
Answer all the questions: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- How does Ionisation potential vary across a period?
- Arrange the following in the increasing order of ionic character: .
- Why an anion is always bigger and a cation is always smaller than the parent atom?
- Calculate the bond order of N2.
- Why H2S is a gas whereas H2O is a liquid at 298k.
- What are London forces? Give its origin?
- Arrange the following acids according to their increasing acid strength with relevant explanation:
- Give an example each for protic and aprotic solvents.
- How Caro’s acid can be prepared.
- Complete the reactions:
PART – B
Answer any Eight (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- What is Lattice energy? How is it determined for the formation of NaCl using Born Haber cycle.
- Calculate the electornegativity of Si following allred-rochow procedure. Covalent radius of Si=1.75 Ǎ.
- Like compounds dissolve in like solvents – comment.
- Discuss the hybridization and structure of SF6 and BeF2.
- Give the importance of LCAO method.
- What are clathrates? Explain with an example.
- What is difference between Valence Band and Conduction band.
- What is conjugate acid-base pair? Give two examples.
- Complete the reaction
- Compare the stability of NH3 and PH3.
- How Hydrazine is prepared? Give any three of its reactions.
- Write notes on the various allotropic forms of sulphur.
PART – C
Answer any four (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- (a) Discuss Fajan’s rule with suitable examples.
(b) Calculate the lattice energy of sodium chloride using Born-Haber cycle.
Heat of sublimation of sodium (S) = 108.5kJ/ Mol
Dissociation energy of Cl2(D) = 243.0kJ/ Mol
Ionization energy of sodium (I.E) = 495.2 kJ/Mol
Electron affinity of Chlorine (EA) = -348.3 kJ/ Mol
Enthalpy of formation of NaCl(ΔHf)=-381.8 kJ/Mol
- Arrange the following species in the order of increasing order of bond strength and explain:
O2+, O2–, O2 ,O2 2+, O22-
- (a). Based on VB theory predict the magnetic property of Oxygen molecule.
(b). Give the preparation, properties and uses of Hydrazine.
- How does band theory of metals explain the conduction property of metals.
- Explain HSAB theory. Mention any four applications.
- Write in detail the properties and structures of various oxides of sulphur.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: