LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIFTH SEMESTER – November 2008
CH 5402/CH 5400 – POLYMER CHEMISTRY
Date : 12-11-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Answer ALL questions. (10×2=20 marks)
- What are natural polymers and how do they differ from synthetic ones?
- Define inorganic polymers.
- What are polycondensation polymers? Give only the names of the monomers used for the synthesis of polyamide .
- Write any four characteristic features of anionic polymerization.
- What is bulk polymerization? Mention any two drawbacks of bulk polymerization.
- Why is the thermal stability of Teflon high?
- How are the following serve as initiators?
(a) benzoyl peroxide (b) azobisisobutyronitrile.
- How is polystyrene prepared?
- What are antioxidants? Give any two examples.
- How does the reinforcement affect the properties of rubbers and plastics?
Answer any EIGHT questions. (8×5=40 marks)
- Define the following with example for each (a) Oligomers (b) Elastomers
- Suggest ways to help make the synthetic polymers eco-friendly.
- Distinguish addition polymerization and condensation polymerization reactions.
- Describe the kinetics of chain polymerization by free radicals.
- Write short notes on gas phase polymerization.
- Explain the factors influencing the stability of polymers.
- Write short notes on (a) ring opening polymerization (b) living polymers.
- Mention the steps involved in the formation of bakelite and explain.
- How are the following polymers synthesized?
(a) HDPE (b) Neoprene
- Explain the role of the following with example:
(a) Plasticizers (b) Fire retardants
- Explain the process of calendaring.
- Discuss the stages involved in and importance of blow moulding.
Answer any FOUR questions. (4×10=40 marks)
- Discuss the importance of secondary bond forces in polymers with suitable example
for each case.
- Write mechanism of Ziegler Natta polymerization. How is the growing chain
terminated? Why are stereo-regular polymers obtained from it? (6+2+2)
- Explain the mechanism of emulsion polymerization.
- Discuss the different types of polymer degradation and explain any one methods of
prevention for each type.
- What are conducting polymers? What are their characteristics of conducting
polymers? Explain with the conductance value for polysulphurnitriles, polyphenylene,
poly pyrrole and polyacetylene. (2+4+4)
- Explain three major techniques of FRP and mention their applications?
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: