LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIFTH SEMESTER – November 2008
CH 5506 – TRANSITION ELEMENTS AND NUCLEAR CHEMISTRY
Date : 05-11-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer ALL questions. (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Explain Goldschmidt thermite process.
- List out two uses of vanadium
- Orbital contributions to magnetic moments of lanthanide ions are significant. Why?
- The +3 oxidation state is the characteristic oxidation state of lanthanides. Account for.
- Write the IUPAC names of i.[Co(NH3)5CO3]Cl ii.Na[B(NO3)4].
- [Zn(NH3)4 ] 2+ cannot be a square planar complex. Why?
- What is K-electron capture?
- Write down the mathematical expression of Geiger-Nuttal’s rule.
- Bring out the relationship between the efficiency of a nuclear reaction and nuclear cross section.
- Why is technetium 99 m is used for diagnostic purposes ?
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions. (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- How is potassium dichromate prepared?
- Give an account of toxicity of mercury.
- Describe the methods of separation of lanthanides.
- Write briefly on the oxidation states exhibited by actinides. Why do they have greater tendency to
form complexes compared to lanthanides?
- Explain EAN rule and predict the formula of chromium carbonyl assuming that it obeys EAN rule.
- Sketch the possible geometric isomers for [Cr(NH3)2Cl4 ]– .Which of these will exhibit optical
- For the complex ion, [Cr(H2O)6]2+, the pairing energy is found to be 23500 cm-1. The value of Δo is
13900 cm-1. Calculate the crystal field stabilization energy for the complex in weak field and strong
- Write a note on the applications of radioactive isotopes in agriculture and biology.
- Describe the functioning of scintillation counter.
- What is binding energy? Explain with an example.
- Describe the process of spallation.
- What is isotopic dilution analysis? How is it carried out?
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- Explain how titanium is extracted from its ores. Mention two used of titanium. (10)
- What is lanthanide contraction? What are its consequences? (10)
- a. What are the postulates of valence bond theory, as applied to coordination compounds? Bring out
its defects. (6)
- Draw VB diagram and indicate the type of hybridization in [Ni(CN)4]2- (4)
- a. How are d-orbitals split, when a transition metal ion is placed in i. an octahedral field and
- a tetrahedral field? (5)
- With the help of crystal field theory explain the given values of magnetic moments of the
following complexes: i. K3[Fe F6 ] 5.9 μ (B.M) ii. [Ni(H2O)6]Cl2 2.8 μ (B.M.) (5)
- Discuss the nuclear shell model and mention the defects of such a model.
- Write notes on : i. Nuclear fusion and ii. Theory of β decay. (5+5)
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: