LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIFTH SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
CH 5508 – FUNDAMENTALS OF SPECTRASCOPY
Date : 08/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer ALL questions: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Define the term resolution.
- The wavelength of a radiation is 2.5 x 10-6m. Calculate its frequency.
- State Beer Lamberts’ law.
- What are auxochromes? Give an example.
- What are monochromators?
- What is Rayleigh scattering?
- Define coupling constant.
- Define Larmour precessional frequency.
- What is an isotopic peak?
- What is FAB?
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions: (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- Explain the terms line width and intensity of spectral lines.
- Discuss the types of transitions in molecules.
- Discuss the instrumentation of photocolorimeter.
- Explain the applications of Flame photometry.
- Discuss the differences between IR and Raman Spectroscopy.
- Explain the source and the sampling technique in IR spectroscopy.
- Explain the following terms:
(i) Fundamental vibration (ii) Over tones
- Explain the basic instrumentation of NMR spectroscopy.
- Explain the pmr spectrum of CH3CHO and pure CH3CH2OH.
- A compound having the molecular formula C10H14 gave the following pmr data:
(a) A singlet 9H (d = 0.88)
(b) A singlet 5H (d = 7.28) Give the structure of the compound.
- Describe the importance of metastable peak in mass spectral analysis.
- Explain the mass spectrum of Benzyl alcohol.
PART – C
Answer ANY FOUR questions: (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- a) Explain Frank-Condon principle. (6)
- b) Benzene is colourless but its isomer, fulvene is yellow. Explain. (4)
- Explain the principle, instrumentation and applications of atomic absorption spectroscopy. (2+4+4)
- a) Discuss the theory of Raman Spectroscopy. (5)
- b) Explain how IR spectroscopy can be used to differentiate inter and intra molecular hydrogen
- a) Explain the types of stretching and bending vibrations of CO2. (6)
- b) Discuss Fermi-resonance. (4)
- a) Explain the term chemical shift. What are factors influencing it? (6)
- b) Explain deuterium labelling in NMR. (4)
- a) Illustrate Mclafferty rearrangement with a suitable example. (5)
- b) Explain the instrumentation of mass spectrometer. (5)
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: