LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MATHS & PHYSICS
SECOND SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
CH 2100/2102 – GEN. CHEMISTRY FOR PHYSICS & MATHS
Date : 03/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer ALL questions: (10×2 = 20)
- What are ligands?
- Mention the role of chlorophyll in photosynthesis.
- Define the following: (a) Chirality (b) Inductive effect
- Cyclohexane chair conformer is more stable than its boat conformer.Why?
- State Raoult’s law.
- What is phase rule?
- What is meant by replication of DNA?
- Give the structure of thyroxin.
- Give one example for each of the following:
(i) Natural polymer (ii) Biopolymer
- How is polystyrene prepared?
Answer ANY EIGHT questions: (8 ×5 = 40)
- Discuss the general properties of transition elements.
- Explain the EAN principle with any one example.
- How is hardness of water determined by EDTA? Explain.
- Explain the mechanism of SN2 reaction.
- Write any one aromatic electrophilic substitution reaction with mechanism.
- How will you differentiate cis– and trans– isomers? Explain.
- Discuss the different types of solutions with example.
- Explain the determination of pH using glass electrode.
- Derive half lifetime (t1/2) for the first order reaction.
- Compare thermal and photochemical reactions.
- Give the structure of the following compounds.
(i) Cortisone (ii) prostaglandins
- Write a note on vulcanization of rubber.
Answer ANY FOUR questions: (4 ×10 = 40)
- a) Discuss the postulates of Werner’s theory.
- b) Explain the applications of Pauling’s theory with any one example.
- a) Define the following with the structure of tartaric acid.
- b) Discuss the conformational analysis of ethane.
- Define the following:
(i) Phase (ii) Component (iii) Degree of freedom
(iv) Homogeneous catalysis (v) Heterogeneous catalysis
- Write a note on (a) phenol-water system (b) Laws of photochemistry.
- Discuss the structure of DNA with neat diagram.
- (a) Write the electrochemical mechanism of corrosion.
(b) Explain any two methods to prevent corrosion.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: