LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
THIRD SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
CH 3503/CH 4501 – MAIN GROUP ELEMENTS & SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY
Date : 05/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Answer ALL the questions: (10×2=20)
- Mention any two oxides of the alkali metals.
- Explain the action of water on Na. Give the reaction.
- What is hydro oration rraction?
- Define catenation.
- How is sodium bismuthate prepared? Mention its use.
- List the oxyacids of nitrogen.
- What are pseudohalogens?
- Give the structure of BrF3
- If the radius ration is 0.85. Determine the coordination number and geometry of the crystal.
- Draw the unit cell of Cs
Answer any EIGHT questions: (8×5=40)
- Write briefly on crown ethers.
- Discuss the preparation, Chemical properties and uses of hydrazine.
- Explain the bonding of diborane.
- Discuss the classification of carbides.
- Explain limiting radius ration. How is it used to determine the geometry of the crystal?
- Discuss the principle of X-ray diffraction.
- The strength of the oxy acids of halogens are of the order HXO4>HXO3>HXO2>HOX. Give reason.
- How are the following prepared? Give the Chemical reaction involved.
- Chlorine dioxide b) Oxygen difluoride c) Iodine pentoxide
- What is superphosphate of lime? Give its preparation.
- Write a brief note on the organomettalic compounds of Li and Be.
- What is borax bead test? Explain.
- a) List the oxyacids of phosphorous.
- Write briefly on sulphides of phosphorous.
Answer any FOUR questions: (4×10=40)
- What are silicates? Discuss the classification with an example each.
- Give a comparative account of the oxides, carbonates, hydroxides and halides of alkali metals.
- What are crystal defects? Discuss the Schottky and Frenkel defects of crystals.
- How are oxides classified? Explain giving an example each.
- Discuss the crystal structure of sodium chloride and Zinc sulphide.
- How is available chlorine in bleaching powder estimated? Explain.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: