LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – COMPUTER SCIENCE
FIFTH SEMESTER – April 2009
CS 5501 – OPERATING SYSTEM
Date & Time: 16/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer ALL questions: (10 x 2 = 20)
- Define: Operating System.
- What is Multiprogramming?
- Mention any two major activities of an operating system with regard to memory management.
- When overlays are used?
- When do we say that a system is in safe state?
- Write a note on scheduling algorithm.
- Write any two advantages of Direct access storage devices.
- What do you mean by spooling?
- What are the objectives of file Management function?
- List out the advantages of UNIX.
PART – B
Answer any FIVE questions: (5 x 8 = 40)
- a) Explain the common operating system services which help the user.
- b) Explain the various operations on process.
- a) What do you mean by compaction? Explain.
- b) Write a note on Segmentation
- a)Explain on how the Banker’s algorithm used for Deadlock avoidance
- b) Write a short note on Inter process communication
- a) Explain about disk scheduling with an example.
- b) Explain the need for device management
- a) Explain the two level directory structure
- b) Write a note on WINDOWS operating system
PART – C
Answer any TWO questions: (2 x 20 = 40)
- a) Explain the various types of system calls normally provided by an operating
system in detail.
- b) Explain in detail about Buffering.
- a) Explain the Segmentation memory management scheme in detail.
- b) Discuss in detail about Swapping.
- a) List out file protection methods and explain any three of them.
- b) Explain in detail on Disk scheduling.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: