LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – COMPUTER SCI. APPL., PHYSICS
FOURTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2011
PB 4208 / 4213 – BIOINFORMATICS – II (GENOMICS & PROTEOMICS)
Date : 05-04-2011 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer all questions (20marks)
I Choose the correct answer (5 x 1 = 5)
- A codon is a series of __________ nucleotide.
- 1 b) 3 c) 5 d) 4
- Electrophoresis is carried out at _________ temperature.
- 80ºC b) 70ºC c) 50ºC d) 20 ºC
- The genome size of Arabidopsis thaliana is
- 125Mb b) 3300Mb c) 0.58Mb d) 466Mb
- ______________ pathway turns the gene on or off.
- Metabolic b) Gene regulation c) Biological d) Cell signaling
- Sequencing of ____________ was done in the year 1997.
- coli b) S.cerevisiae c) M.musculus d) Fugurubripes
II Say whether the following statements are True or False (5 x 1 = 5)
- ATG is stop codon.
- InterPro is a cross reference of several protein family databases.
- BLAST is Basic Local Algorithm Search Tool.
- Topology refers to both the orientation and connectivity of secondary structures.
- OrthoMCL is a database for mammals.
III Complete the following (5 x 1 = 5)
- The biological information contained in a genome is programmed in its _______.
- RNA is synthesized from DNA through a process known as __________.
- _________ model is used to find & classify genes of different types.
- Protein Data Bank was generated by ______________.
- _______________ database consists of 30programs and is a command line program.
IV Answer in one or two sentences, each in about 50 words (5 x 1 = 5)
- Define spliceosome.
- Write any two applications of DNA sequencing.
- Differentiate between sensitivity and specificity.
- Define hydrogen bonding.
- Differentiate between orthologous and paralogous.
V Answer any FIVE of the following, each in about 350 words (5 x 8 = 40)
- Write notes on:
- i) ORF
- ii) Alternative splicing
- Briefly explain Dideoxynucleotide method.
- Write short note on Promoter elements.
- Briefly explain microbial genome database and Karyn’s genome database.
- Write notes on inter-molecular interactions.
- What is a biological pathway? Explain the different types.
- Briefly explain DNA microarray with suitable diagram.
- Draw a dynamic programming using Needlemann algorithm for the following
VI Answer the following, each in about 1500 words (2 x 20 = 40)
- (a) Explain any five protein family databases
(b) Explain how to find genes in large genomes
- (a) Define post-translational modification and explain the various modifications
(b) What is Human Genome Project? Explain its types, goals and applications
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: