LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – COMPUTER SCIENCE
FIFTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
CS 5504/CS 5501 – OPERATING SYSTEM
Date : 25-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Define spooling.
- Define system call.
- What is meant by deadlock?
- What do you mean by recovery through rollback?
- Define memory compaction.
- What is meant by page fault?
- What is memory-mapped I/O?
- What do you mean by cycle stealing?
- Define shell scripts.
- What are the file types available in Linux file system?
PART-B (5 x 8=40 marks)
ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS:
- a) Explain the layered systems design in the operating system structure.
- b) List out the POSIX system calls associated with the file management.
- a) Discuss about the banker’s algorithm for a single resource.
b)Explain the OSTRICH algorithm in the process of deadlock.
- a) Differentiate between Paging and segmentation.
- b) Explain the structure of a Page Table Entry.
- a) What are the goals of the I/O software?
- b) Describe in detail about the RS-232 Terminal Hardware.
- a) Describe some common file extensions in the file naming mechanism.
- b) Explain the most common system calls relating to files operations.
ANSWER ANY TWO QUESTIONS: (2×20=40 marks)
- a) Explain the deadlock Modeling with an appropriate figures.
- b) Describe the file system supported by virtually all operating systems.
- a) Discuss in detail about any five page replacement algorithms.
- b) Describe the sequence of events involved in page fault handling.
- a) Explain the Disk Arm scheduling algorithms.
- b) Explain the Win32 Application Programming Interface in Windows 2000.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: