LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – COMPUTER SCIENCE
FIFTH SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
CS 5506 – INTRODUCTION TO DATA COMMUNICATION
Date : 06/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer ALL the questions: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Define protocol.
- Write about star topology.
- Differentiate periodic signal and aperiodic signal.
- Define peak amplitude.
- What is meant by data encoding?
- Define Data Terminal Equipment.
- Write the use of Fiber-optic cable.
- Differentiate Radio wave and micro wave.
- Define Wave Division Multiplexing.
- What is meant by burst error?
PART – B
Answer ALL the questions: (5 x 8 = 40 marks)
- a) List and Explain about the components involved in data communication system.
- b) Write about the different transmission modes in detail.
- a) Write about the organization of the layers in the OSI model.
- b) Explain about the Digital signals in detail.
- a) Explain about the analog – to – analog conversion.
- b) Write notes on EIA232 standards.
- a) Explain about the modem standards in detail.
- b) Write about the advantages and disadvantages of optical fiber.
- a) Explain about the Time Division Multiplexing.
- b) Write about the Error correction.
PART – C
Answer any TWO questions: (2 x 20 = 40 marks)
- a) Explain in detail about the categories of networks.
- b) Explain about the Functions of layers in detail.
- a) Discuss in detail the Data Terminal Equipment.
- b) Explain about the digital – to – digital conversion.
- a) Describe about the Frequency Division Multiplexing.
- b) Explain the following:
- i) Parity Check
- ii) Cyclic Redundancy Check.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: