LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MATHEMATICS & PHYSICS
THIRD SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
PB 3208 – BIOINFORMATICS – I
Date : 09/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Part –A (20 marks)
Answer the following, each answer within 50 words: (10×2=20 marks)
- Mention the central dogma of molecular biology.
- Give the types of Mrna.
- What is DDBJ?
- Expand MIPS and mention its function.
- What is a domain?
- Give any two objectives of learning bioinformatics.
- What is BLAST?
- Name any two secondary structures of proteins.
- Which database can be accessed to retrieve protein sequences?
- Name any two protein structure models.
Answer the following each within 500 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary:
- a) Explain the structure of chromosome.
- b) Explain the secondary structure of Proteins.
- a) Define PIR database and explain its types.
- b) Define Genomic database and explain the subfields in Genomics.
- a) Mention the uses of FASTA and BLAST in sequence alignment.
- b) Write about Local alignment and Multiple Sequence alignment.
- a) How to study the physical properties of proteins using internet?
- b) What are repetitive sequences and how are they masked?
- a) Compare the usage of WEBTHERMODYN and DNAlive in predicting the physical properties of
- b) Write about any one protein visualization tool.
Answer any three of the following each within 1200 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (3×15=45 marks)
- Explain the structure and function of DNA.
- Describe the projects carried out by HGP and mention their applications.
- What is OMIM? Mention its significance and the procedure.
- Explain Needleman- Wunsch and Smith-Waterman Algorithms.
- Describe the steps involved in Gene Finding.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: