LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MATHEMATICS
SIXTH SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
MT 6603/6600 – COMPLEX ANALYSIS
Date : 05/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer ALL questions (10×2=20 )
- Show that the function is nowhere differentiable.
- When do we say that a function is harmonic.
- Find the radius of convergence of the series .
- State Cauchy Goursat theorem.
- Expand as a Taylor’s series about the point .
- Define meromorphic function with an example.
- Define residue of a function at a point.
- State argument principle.
- Define the cross ratio of a bilinear transformation.
- Define an isogonal mapping.
Answer any FIVE questions. (5×8=40)
- Show that the function is discontinuous at given that when and .
- Find the analytic function of which the real part is .
- Evaluate along the closed curve containing paths and .
- State and prove Morera’s theorem.
- State and prove Maxmimum modulus principle.
- Find out the zeros and discuss the nature of the singularity of .
- State and prove Rouche’s theorem.
- Find the bilinear transformation which maps the points into the points
Answer any TWO questions (2×20=40)
- (a) Let be a function defined in a region such that and their first order partial derivatives are continuous in . If the first order partial derivatives of satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations at a point in D then show that f is differentiable at .
(b) Prove that every power series represents an analytic function inside its circle of convergence.
- (a) State and prove Cauchy’s integral formula.
(b) Expand in a Laurent’s series for (i) (ii)
- (a) State and prove Residue theorem.
(b) Using contour integration evaluate .
- (a) Let be analytic in a region and for .Prove that f is conformal at .
(b) Find the bilinear transformation which maps the unit circle onto the unit circle .
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: