LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PHYSICS
SECOND SEMESTER – April 2009
PH 2503 – MECHANICS
Date & Time: 23/04/2009 / 1:00 – 4:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer ALL questions: (10×2=20 Marks)
- Define centre of oscillation and centre of suspension.
- What is a compound pendulum?
- Explain concurrent forces.
- Define centre of gravity.
- Water flowing with a velocity of 2m/s in a 4cm diameter pipe enters a narrow pipe having a diameter of 2cm. Calculate the velocity in the narrow pipe.
- State Torricelli’s theorem.
- What are generalized coordinates?
- Explain constraints with an example.
- State Newton’s universal law of gravitation.
- Calculate the escape velocity of a body from the moon’s surface, if the radius of the moon is 1.7×106m and acceleration due to gravity on the moon’s surface is 1.63m/s2.
Answer any FOUR questions: (4×7.5=30 Marks)
- State and prove the law of conservation of angular momentum. (2+5.5)
- Find out the location of the centre of gravity of a solid tetrahedron.
- Explain the working of venturimeter.
- Apply Lagrange’s equations of motion to the Atwood machine to find out the
acceleration of the system.
- a)State Kepler’s laws of motion. (3)
b)Derive law of gravitation from Kepler’s law. (4.5)
Answer any FOUR questions: (4×12.5=50 Marks)
- a) Derive an expression for the period of oscillation of a compound pendulum. (7.5) b)Find out the condition for the minimum time period. (5)
- Find the position of the centre of pressure of a triangular lamina immersed in a
liquid with its (i) vertex and (ii) base, touching the surface of the liquid. (6+6.5)
- a)State and prove Bernoulli’s theorem. (6)
b)Obtain the relation between time of diffusion and length of column. (6.5)
- a)Explain the term ‘virtual displacement’ and state the principle of ‘virtual work’. (6.5)
b)State and explain D’Alembert’s principle. (6)
- Define and obtain expressions for (i)orbital velocity and (ii) escape velocity of a
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: