LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
DEGREE EXAMINATION –PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2007
PB 2502 – PLANT DIVERSITY-II (PTERIDO, GYMNO, PALEO.)
Date & Time: 20/04/2007 / 1:00 – 4:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Part A (20 marks)
Answer All questions
I Choose the Correct Answer ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Which of the following stele is found in Marsilea rhizome.
- Protostele b. Haplostele
- Plectostele d. Amphiphloic siphonostele
- Name the economically important fern which can be used in paddy cultivation.
- Selaginella b. Azolla c. Rhynia d. Marsilea
- Sago is obtained from
- Cycas circinalis b. Zamia
- Dioon d. Macrozamia
- Ovuliferous scale of Pinus is a part of
- megasporophyll b. microsporophyll
- ovule d. dwarf shoot
- Microtome technique is used to study ………. fossils.
- petrified b. compressed c. cast d. mold
II State whether the following statements are True or False (5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Homosporous fern Selaginella exhibit seed habit.
- 07. Lycopodium is commonly known as horse tail.
- Secondary xylem of Cycas consists of tracheids and vessels.
- Double fertilization occurs is Pinus.
- The name of the cone of Lepidodendron is Lepidostrobus.
III. Complete the following ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- In Pteridophytes, the branching of the stem is ……… type.
- The ………. of Psilotum plant is associated with endophytic mycorrhiza.
- Mucilage canals are present in the stem of ………….
14.The ………….. produces cork cells towards outer side and secondary cortex towards
- In ……….. process, the tissues are transferred into hard stone like structure.
- Answer all, each in about 50 words ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- What is plectostele? Give one example.
- Distinguish between exosporic and endosporic gametophyte.
- Define polyembryony.
- Write short notes on manoxylic wood.
- Mention any two Indian contributions towards Gymnosperms.
PART B ( 5 x 8 = 40 marks)
Answer any five, each within 350 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary.
- List out the important features of Pterophyta and Psilophyta.
- Describe the anatomical features of Equisetum rhizome.
- Draw the life cycle of homosporous and heterosporous pteridophytes.
- Enlist the salient features of Coniferales.
- With the help of labeled diagrams only differentiate the anatomy of Cycas leaflet with
- Write brief account on economic importance of Gymnosperms.
- Give an account of the morphology, anatomy and sporangium of Rhynia.
- Briefly explain the different techniques used to study the fossils.
PART C ( 2 x 20 = 40 marks)
Answer the following, each within 1500 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary.
29a. Give a detailed account of the structure and development of sporangium in
homosporous and heterosporous fern.
b.Write down the external features of sporophytic plant body of Lycopodium,
Equisetum, Marsilea and Azolla.
30a. Give a general account of the reproductive organs of Cycas , Pinus and Gnetum.
b i). Enumerate the salient features of Bennettitales.
ii). Give an account of different types fossils.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: