LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
SIXTH SEMESTER – April 2009
PB 6605 / 6602 – ENVIRONMENTAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
Date & Time: 21/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART –A (20 marks)
- Choose the correct answer (5×1=5)
- The filters used in Laminar Air Flow is
- Seive filters b. HEPA filters c. Sand filters d. Filter paper
- Increase in deposit of pollutant in the members of food web is called
- Biomagnification b. Biosorption c. Biostimulation d. Biodegradation
- Dinococcus radiodurans is able to use
- Heavy metal b. Pesticide c. Hydrocarbon d. Radionuclides
- The substances difficult to degrade are called
- Reversible b. Remedial c. Removable d. Recalcitrant
- The organism present in Trickling filter includes
- Thiobacillus spp b. Mycobacteria spp c. Bordetella spp d. Zooglea spp
- State whether the following statements are True or False (5×1=5)
- Sulphurdioxide causes chlorosis in plants.
- Chlorine in PCB is harmless to microbes.
- Iron ore leaching is done using Thiobacillus ferroxidans.
- EPA is Environment Protection Act.
- Psuedomonas have the enzyme monoxygenases.
III. Complete the following (5×1=5)
- ______________ is an unconventional energy resource.
- Chemical treatment of sewage is done using _________________.
- The best way to remove agricultural waste is _________________.
- Removal of waste using plant roots is called ______________.
- The normal depth of anaerobic pond is _____________.
IV Answer the following within 50 words (5×1=5)
Write short notes on
- Chernobyl disaster
- Pesticide as xenobiotic substance
- Mercury pollution
PART – B
Answer any FIVE of the following in about 350 words (5×8=40)
- Write purification of air
- Explain metal transformation.
- Describe the Ex-situ bioremediation.
- Describe the nonconventional energy resources
- Explain the concept of Biomineralisation.
- Elaborate on removal of oil spills using microbes.
- Describe the Anaerbic digestion of waste.
- What is phytoremediation?
Answer the following in about 1500 words (2X20=40)
- a. Write in detail the use of microbes in Bioremediation.
- Describe i. Trickling filter
- Activated Sludge process
- a. Explain the pathway for PCP and PCB degradation.
- Discuss i. Bioleaching
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: