LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
SIXTH SEMESTER – April 2009
PB 6606 / 6601 – FERMENTATION TECHNOLOGY
Date & Time: 23/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART –A (20 marks)
- Choose the correct answer (5×1=5)
- The industry which uses the principle of fermentation is
- Food industry b. Paint industry c. Chemical industry d. None
- The microbes are preserved in small laboratories by
- Daily Subculture b. Refrigeration c. Boiling d. None
- The antifoam agent used in fermentor is
- Soap b. Salt c. Lard oil d. Vanaspati
- In the fermenter aeration is done by
- Sparger b. Agitators c. Impellors d. All
- The salt used in precipitation of enzymes is
- Ammonium sulphate b. Calcium sulphate c. Nickel sulphate d. None
- State whether the following statements are True or False (5×1=5)
- Alcohol industry is the most profitable industry.
- Parasexual cycle in yeast is useful for strain improvement.
- Steam is the best sterilant for sterilisation of a fermenter.
- Sonication cannot be used for cell disruption.
- Biosensors are a boon to Fermentation industry.
III. Complete the following (5×1=5)
- ______________ is a fermented dairy product.
- The sterilisation of heat sensitive substances is done by _________________.
- Cryopreservation is carried out at ____________°C temperature.
- The change in pH in media in the Fermentor is indicated by __________.
- The mixing of components of media in a fermentor is done by the _________ .
IV Answer the following within 50 words (5×1=5)
Write short notes on
- Solvent extraction
- DO probe
- Valves of fermentor
- Fed batch cultures
PART – B
Answer any FIVE of the following in about 350 words (5×8=40)
- Write on range of Fermentation processes available for industry.
- Explain Sterilization and its importance in fermentation.
- Describe the body construction and basic functions of each part of fermentor.
- Describe computerized control system available in fermentor
- Explain the use of chromatography in down stream processing
- Elaborate on the importance of effluent treatment after fermentation.
- Describe the scope and importance of recombinant products in fermentation.
- Precipitation is an important step in purification- Justify
Answer the following in about 1500 words (2X20=40)
- a. Write in detail about the different types of fermentors.
- Describe the methods used in preservation of isolated cultures.
- a. Explain the filtration and centrifugation in Bioprocess industry.
- Discuss in detail the Microbial growth kinetics and its use in fermentation .
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: