LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FIFTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
PB 5405 – MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY
Date : 27-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Part – A
Answer all the following, each answer within 50 words: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Distinguish between moist heat and dry heat sterilization.
- Bring out the features of Koch postulates.
- Give the significance of β-lactam ring.
- Comment on phenol co-efficient test.
- Write short notes on Gnotobiotics.
- What are toxoids? Give example.
- Write about the causative agents of Histoplasmosis.
- Give salient features of HB vaccine.
- Write about the causative agents of dermatophytoses.
- Give the chemistry of tetanus toxins.
Part – B
Answer the following, each answer within 500 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary:
(5 x 7 = 35 marks)
- (a) Give the contributions of Louis Pasteur and Edward Jenner.
(b) List out the properties of chemicals agents that control microbial growth. Add notes
- (a) With illustrations, explain the mechanism of action of sulpha drugs.
(b) Give the sources, mode of action and applications of streptomycin.
- (a) Differentiate between the exo- and endo- toxins of human pathogens in the form of a tabular column.
(b) Write notes on any 2 tests based on antigen-antibody reactions.
- (a) Mention about pathogen, disease cycle and control measures of tuberculosis.
(b) Write about pathogen, disease cycle and control measures of chicken pox.
- (a) Describe about pathogen, disease cycle and control measures of syphilis.
(b) Mention about pathogen, disease cycle and control measures of malaria.
Part – C
Answer Any THREE of the following, each within 1200 words, draw diagrams wherever necessary: (3 x 15 = 45 marks)
- Write details on various physical agents that control microbial growth.
- Describe various mechanisms of antibiotic resistance developed by the pathogens.
- Explain various events of host – microbe interaction that takes place during disease development.
- Write notes on pathogen, disease cycle, diagnoses and control measures of cholera.
- Describe the pathogen, disease cycle, diagnoses and control measures of AIDS.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: