LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FOURTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
PB 4210 – MICROBIAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
Date : 19-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer the following, each answer within 50 words: (10 x 2 = 20)
- What is gene library?
- Define plasmids.
- What is trophophase?
- Define transformation
- Mention about Koji fermentation process.
- Mention the nutritional status of SCPs.
- What are biopesticides?
- What is yoghurt?
- Define exopolymers.
- Distinguish between batch and continuous culture.
Answer the following, each answer within 500words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary : (5 x 7 = 35)
- (a) Explain briefly the polymerase chain reaction.
(b) Write short notes on restriction enzymes.
- (a) Discuss the chronological development of the fermentation industries.
(b) Schematically represent the strategies of down- stream processing.
- (a) Give the outline only of insulin production.
(b) Comment on the transformation of steroids.
- (a) Define vaccine. Explain the production Hepatitis – B vaccine.
(b) Explain the production of proteases.
- (a) Write briefly on the fermentation of L – Glutamic acid.
(b) How beer is produced industrially?
Answer any three of the following, each answer within 1200 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (3 x 15 = 45)
- Explain Southern blot technique.
- Explain the range of products and the component parts of a fermentation process.
- Discuss the production strategy of Streptomycin.
- What are biosensors? Explain briefly their working principle, types and application.
- Describe how Spirulina is mass cultivated.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: