LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FOURTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
PB 4508/PB 4504 – MICROBIOLOGY
Date : 21-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer the following, each within 50 words only: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Write the Accomplishments of Anton Van Leeuwenhoek.
- Define Tyndallization.
- What is meant by Lophotrichous Flagella? Give example.
- What are Chemotrophs?
- Define Fermentation.
- What is Transformation?
- What are Viroids?
- What is a Capsid?
- List the uses of Vinegar
- Define Rhizosphere.
Answer the following within 500 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (5X7=35 marks)
- a) Give an account on Gram’s Staining.
- b) Explain the contributions of Louis Pasteur.
- a) Write short notes on Bacterial growth curve.
- b) Briefly explain the methods of pure culture isolation.
- a) With a neat diagram, explain the process of Conjugation.
- b) Explain the steps involved in gene cloning.
- a) Write notes on cultivation of viruses.
- b) Give an account on the general characteristics of viruses.
- a) Explain briefly about the industrial production of Penicillin.
- b) Write notes on Sulphur Cycle.
Answer any THREE of the following, each with 1200 words:
Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (3X15=45 marks)
- Explain in detail about the major characteristics of microorganisms.
- Give a detailed account on the methods to quantitatively measure the bacterial growth.
- Describe in detail the process of Transduction.
- With a neat diagram, explain the ultra structure of T even Bacteriophage. Also add a note
on the lytic cycle.
- Write short notes on:
- a) Aerobic sewage treatment processes. (10 marks)
- b) Methods to preserve fermented food. (5 marks)
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: