LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY
THIRD SEMESTER – NOV 2006
PB 3502 – ANGIO. TAXONOMY & EMBRYOLOGY
Date & Time : 02-11-2006/9.00-12.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A
Answer all the questions. (20 marks)
I Choose the best answer. (5 x 1 = 5)
- Gynandrophore is characteristic of the family:
- Cucurbitaceae b. Solanaceae c. Capparidaceae d. Anacardiaceae
- Sexual system of classification is a type of ——- classification.
- Artificial b. Natural c. Phylogenetic d. Modern
- Gossypium hirsutum belongs to the family
- Euphorbiaceae b. Solanaceae c. Cucurbitaceae d. Malvaceae
- The ubisch bodies are present in
- pollen tube b.pollen mother cell d. pollen grain d. tapetal cells
- The number of microspore mother cells required to produce 100 pollen grains is:
- 25 b. 50 c. 75 d. 100
II State whether the following statements are true or false. (5 x 1 = 5)
- Keys used in identification of plants are indented and bracketed.
- Polygamous flowers are characteristics of Cucurbitaceae.
- Catharanthus roseus is known for its narcotic value.
- Dichogamy is a condition where the anther and stigma mature at same time.
- The three nuclei at the micropilar end form the antipodals.
III Complete the following (5 x 1 = 5)
- In numerical taxonomy, characters are referred as ————–.
- Binomial name for onion is ————- —————.
- Tobacco contains an alkaloid —————.
- Remains of nucellus in a seed is called —————–.
- The distal most cell of the suspensor is called as —————.
IV Answer the following in not more than 50 words each. (5 x 1 = 5)
- Define archechlamydeae
- Mention the features of Bicarpellatae
- What are essential oils?
- What is allogamy?
- Write short notes on circinotropous ovule.
PART – B
Answer any FIVE of the following in not more than 350 words. (5 x 8 = 40)
- Comment on the principles of ICBN.
- Give the outline of Bentham and Hooker’s system of classification.
- Enumerate the salient features of Euphorbiaceae.
- Write notes on spices and condiments.
- Give the binomial, family, useful parts and uses of any 2 cereals and 2 pulses.
- Draw a neatly labelled diagram showing the T.S. of a mature anther.
- Briefly describe the process of fertilization
- Describe the development of a typical monocotyledonous embryo.
PART – C
Answer the following in not exceeding 1500 words each.
- (a) With suitable examples describe biochemical and molecular systematics.
(b) Compare the floral characters of the families Capparidaceae, Anacardiaceae
- (a) Describe the structure and development of the various types of embryo sac
found in angiosperms.
(b) Give an illustrated account of the various types of endosperms found in
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: