LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FIFTH SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2010
PB 5406 – IMMUNOLOGY AND IMMUNO TECHNOLOGY
Date : 11-11-10 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART A (20 marks)
Answer all questions.
- Choose the correct answer: (5 x 1 = 5)
- Vaccine against rabies was first developed by
- a) Koch b) Pasteur c) Jenner d) Kohler
- Paratope is seen in the
- a) antigen b) immunogen c) hapten d) antibody
- Reaction of membrane bound antigen with labeled antibody is done in
- a) Macini method b) RIA c) Immunoblotting d) ELISA
- Which of the following cells are involved in cytotoxicity?
- a) Helper T cells b) Killer T cells c) Plasma cells d) Memory B cells
- Hybridoma technology was first developed by
- a) Kohler b) Mittelman c) Yallow d) Prescott
- State whether the following statements are true or false: (5 x 1 = 5)
- Secretion of HCl in the stomach is an example for anatomical barrier.
- All allergens are antigens.
- Radial immunodiffusion involves radioactively labeled antibodies.
- Naive B cells are those which have not been in contact with any antigens.
- Myeloma cells are used in hybridoma technology because they are immortal.
III. Complete the following: (5 x 1 = 5 )
- OPV and IPV are administered to confer immunity against _________.
- The molecular weight of heavy chain is __________.
- Reaction of insoluble antigen with soluble antibody is called ________.
- B cells which can recognize antigens on subsequent entry are called ________..
- HAT medium is used to culture ___________ .
- Answer the following, each in about 50 words: (5 x 1= 5)
- Mention any two contribution of Landsteiner.
- List any two features of IgM.
- Define haemagglutination.
- Define plasma cells.
- What is serum?
Answer the following, each answer not exceeding 350 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary: ( 5 x 7= 35)
- Give an account of the contribution of Pasteur and Koch.
- Write short notes on immunization schedule.
- Explain briefly about antigens and their properties.
- Explain the structure of a typical antibody molecule.
- Give an account of immunoelectrophoresis.
- Write short notes on immunodiffusion.
- Discuss briefly about cytokines and their importance.
- Write short notes on T lymphocytes.
- What are polyclonal antibodies? Explain the method involved in their production.
- Explain the methods involved in the production of antiserum.
Answer any three of the following, each answer not exceeding 1200 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (3 x 15= 45)
- Describe in detail about innate and adaptive immunity.
- Explain in detail about immunoglobulins, their classification and properties.
- Discuss in detail about immunoblotting technique.
- Explain in detail about the organs of immune system.
- Describe the steps involved in the production of monoclonal antibodies.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: