LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FIRST SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
PB 1508 – ALGOLOGY AND BRYOLOGY
Date : 08/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
PART – A
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING, EACH WITHIN 50 WORDS: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- What is Heterocyst?
- What are phycobilins?
- Define coenobium.
- Write notes on carpospores.
- What is diatomite?
- Give the role of algae in medicine.
- What is alternation of generation?
- Define apogamy.
- What are pseudo elaters?
- What is protonema?
PART – B
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING, EACH WITHIN 500 WORDS. DRAW DIAGRAMS, FLOW CHARTS WHEREVER NECESSARY: (5 x 7 = 35 marks)
- a) Enumerate the salient features of Cyanophyceae.
- b) Describe any one method of life cycle pattern in algae.
- a) Explain the male and female conceptacle of Sargassum.
- b) With the help of neat diagram, describe the thallus structure of Chara.
- a) Spirulina as single cell protein – Discuss.
- b) Give the uses of algae in agriculture and space research.
- a) List out the characteristic features of Hepaticopsida.
- b) Mention the economic importance of Bryophytes.
- a) Describe the external and internal structure of Anthoceros thallus.
- b) Give an illustrated account of Funaria
PART – C
ANSWER ANY THREE OF THE FOLLOWING, EACH WITHIN 1200 WORDS. DRAW DIAGRAMS, FLOW CHARTS WHEREVER NECESSARY.
(3 x 15 = 45 marks)
- Discuss the thallus organization of Algae.
- Trace the life cycle of Ectocarpus.
- Explain isolation, mass cultivation and field application of Blue green algae.
- Write an account on the various modes of reproduction in Bryophytes.
- Describe the structure and reproduction of Marchantia.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: