LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ENGLISH LITERATURE
FOURTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2011
EL 4203 – BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
Date : 05-04-2011 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
- Place the Stress marks (‘) on the words given below: (5*1=5) marks
- Duty Free
- Dust jacket
- Ex Serviceman
- Identify the Indianisms and rewrite in correct English. (5*1=5) marks
- I will do my level best.
- At the earliest convenience.
- You can do one thing etc.
- Thanking you in anticipation.
- Please do the needful.
- State, with reasons in brief, whether the following statements are correct or incorrect. (5*1=5)
- An interviewee has to perform background research about the organization and the post he is applying for.
- Eye contact does not play an important role in non-verbal communication.
- The sender originates the process of communication.
- A business letter should not stimulate the recipient to act promptly.
- A memo is often described as the workhorse of business communication.
- Answer any five of the following questions in about 100 words each. (5*5=25)
- Write a short note on ‘Memo’ and its features.
- Describe ‘Report writing’ and its features.
- Explain ‘cohesion’ and ‘register.’
- Attempt short notes on ‘Role Play’.
- What do you understand by ‘Telephone Etiquettes’?
- Differentiate between ‘Skimming ‘and ‘Scanning’.
- Write down the features of ‘Close study’ and ‘proof Reading.’
- Describe ‘Fixation’ and ‘Regression.’
- Read the following advertisement and prepare your resume in response to the same. 10 marks.
- Write a letter of application to ‘The Hindu’ in response to their advertisement for the post of
sub-editor. 10 marks
VII. Prepare the minutes of the following meeting: 10 marks
You are the secretary of the Loyola College students’ Union. The Union conducted a meeting on 1 March 2011, regarding the upcoming college sports day. Write down the minutes for the same.
VIII. Imagine yourself as the leader of the group comprising of five members (A, B, C, D, & E). Write down the manner in which, you would conduct group discussion on the topic: 10 marks
“Corruption in Indian Politics.” (or) “The effects of Globalization.”
Ix. Write an essay on any two of the following in about 300 words. (2*10=20) marks
- The importance of non-verbal communication in Business world.
- The seven C’S of Business Communication.
- Privatization of Education.
- The Influence of Advertisements on our daily lives.
Preparing oneself to attend a job Interview.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: