LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ENGLISH LITERATURE
FIFTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
EL 5501 – CONTEMPORARY BRITISH LITERATURE
Date : 27-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer the following questions in about 30 words each: (10×2=20 marks)
- Terrifying are the attend sleek thrushes on the lawn,
More coiled steel than living
Explain the above lines.
- On motorcycles, up the road, they come:
Small, black, as flies hanging in the heat
capture the restlessness of the motorcycle riders.
- And girls in slack remember Dad.
Comment on the tone of the poem.
- He watches the hearts of things
And does not move or speak.
Explain the context in which Geoffrey Hill utters these words.
- Death is the least we have to fear.
Bring out the irony in this line.
- The superiority of one race to another is hardly ever believed in for any good reason.
Write down Russell’s opinion about racial superiority.
- Man’s knowledge of god is due to god himself.
Explain this statement of Barclay.
- “I’ve had dinner with the best”.
What light does this line throw on the character of Davies?
- The world at the present day stands in need of two kinds of things.
What, according to Russell, are the too things the world requires at present?
- All afternoon through the tall heat that slept
For miles inland,
A slow and topping curve southwards we kept.
Explain the context.
PART – B
Answer any FIVE of the following in 150 words each: (5×8=40 marks)
- Attempt a critical appreciation of Ted Hughe’s “The Jaguar”.
- Critically analyse Peter Porter’s “your Attention Please”.
- Consider “Old Woman” a typical Elizabeth Jennings poem.
- What, according to Russelll, are the ideas that have harmed mankind?
- What is Barclay’s justification for his belief in God?
- Comment on the title of Pinter’s drama “The Care Taker”.
- Write short notes on the symposium in Iris Mardah’s “The Bell”.
- Write short notes on the setting of “Lord of the flies”.
PART – C
Answer the following in about 300 words each: (2 x 20 = 40 marks)
- Write an essay on 20th century poetry with special reference to the poems prescribed.
- Consider Pinter’s “The Care Taker” an absurd drama.
- What does Russell advocate for a better world?
- Bring out the allegory in “Lord of the Flies”.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: