Common Aptitude Test (CAT):
Common Aptitude Test (CAT) is a national level management entrance test which is conducted by Indian Institute of Management for the admission into various Business courses in the top most Business institutes of India. This is a very popular exam and considered to be one of the most toughest and challenging entrance exams of India. The scores of the CAT are followed by various top institutes of India such as IIMs, IITs, NITs, Faculty of Management study and Indian Institutes of Science and other Government and private institutes of India.
CAT 2015 is going to be held on November 29th 2015. In between, students those who are planning to take up the CAT exam the next academic year 2016, plan for the examination and wait for the official notification of CAT 2016.
Details for CAT 2016:
The tentative dates for the availability of the application form for CAT 2016 are scheduled to be during the month of August 2016, registration process will go till last week of September 2016 and candidates may get the admit card from the mid of October 2016 till the examination date.
General information about the CAT examination:
- This exam consists of four sections such as Verbal Ability, Quantitative ability, logical reasoning and data interpretation.
- This exam is mainly conducted to filter out the most talented students for business administration programs.
- The CAT score is used by separate institutes in a different manner. Some of the institutes consider this score along with the parameters such as academic performance, group discussion, written assessment, personal interview and so on.
- This exam is framed in a manner to test the candidate whether he is suitable for the management jobs.
- Toppers of this exam are sure to get admission into any one of the top B-Schools of India. Thus, after finishing the course they are sure to get good and lucrative salary package.
- If the applicant is aiming to join in any of the IIMs, then he should definitely take up this exam.
- CAT exam is carried out only once in a year.
- CAT exam pattern is changed often and thus students have to thoroughly refer the pattern of the exam before you start preparing.
Important dates for CAT 2015:
Here are the few important details of CAT 2015. As most of the important dates such as registration process date, application form availability dates, application form submission dates are closed let us check few other important details for CAT 2015.
Admit card download from: October 25th till the exam date
Examination date for CAT 2015: Nov 29th 2015
Result declaration: Second week of January 2016
Eligibility criteria for CAT 2015:
- Applicant must have passed any graduation from a recognized board of University with at least 50% of aggregate for general candidates and 45% for SC/ST candidates.
- Candidates who are appearing in the final year graduation exam can also apply for this exam. But however, such candidates have to submit their graduation proof at the time of the admission.
Examination Pattern for CAT 2015:
- CAT 2015 exam will be conducted in same day November 29th 2015 as two sessions. One session is on morning and another session is on afternoon.
- The conducting body of CAT 2015 is IIM Ahmedabad.
- There are three sections namely:
- Quantitative aptitude
- Data interpretation and Logical reasoning
- Verbal and reading comprehension
- Total number of questions: 100
- Number of questions for
Quantitative ability: 34
Data interpretation and logical reasoning: 32
Verbal and reading comprehension: 34
- Total duration: 180 minutes
- Sectional duration: 1 hour for each section
- Multiple choices of questions and non multiple choices of questions are included.
- For non multiple choices of questions, 3 marks for every correct attempt and no marks for questions that are not attempted.
- For multiple choices of questions, 3 mark for every correct attempt and -1 for every incorrect attempt.
- On screen basic calculator is provided since this is an online exam.
- Candidates can attend the sections in any order and there is no pre-specified order.
Syllabus for CAT 2015:
Here are the important topics to concentrate in every section.
Topics such as reading comprehension, syllogism, verbal reasoning, fill in the blanks, sentence correction, idioms and phrases, analogies, etc., are most important.
Number systems, geometry, trigonometry, probability, averages, percentages, profit and loss, quadratic and linear equations, etc.,
Interpretation and data analysis on the basis of text, tables, graphs, bar charts, venn diagram, etc.,
Clocks, calendars, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relation, logical sequences, assumption, premise, conclusion and linear, matrix arrangements, etc.,
How to apply for the exam?
- For the candidates who are interested in applying for CAT 2016, please check the official website of CAT often for any official notification of CAT
- The official site is http://www.iimcat.ac.in
- If so, please download the application form for CAT
- Now fill in all the required informations such as name, contact number, contact address, date of birth, roll number, test centre choice and so on.
- Submit the filled in application forms along with the application fee.
- The application fee is Rs.1600 for General candidates and Rs.800/- for SC/ST candidates.
- Please refer the official website for the latest updated application fee.
- You can pay the application fee either through debit card/credit card or net banking.
- As soon as you submit the application form, please take a print out of the page for future reference.
- Applicant must submit original mark sheets along with the photocopy of the certificate at the time of admission.
Books to be referred for CAT examination:
- Quantitative aptitude by Arun Sharma
- Quantitative aptitude by Guha abhijit
- Person’s guide to Data Interpretation and logical reasoning.
- TMH’s how to prepare for Data interpretation and logical reasoning by Arun Sharma
- Pearson’s guide to verbal ability and logical reasoning
- Trishna’s Verbal and ability and logical reasoning for the CAT and other MBA examination.
- English proficiency IMS India
- A communicative grammar of English by Geoffrey Leech
- Business English and communication by Clark
- Word power made easy by Norman Lewis.
Sample questions for preparation:
Lets check out few sample questions below:
- The absence of grief and outrage when a national tragedy occurs is a ______ of modern concern.
- Which does not contain an adverb?
- Came late
- Came too early
- Early bird
- Very late dinner
- Woke up early
- A test contains 8 questions. A student must answer at least two of the five questions and at least one of the remaining three questions. In how many ways can he answer the test, if he must answer five questions in all?
- Match sticks can be used to represent numbers and arithmetic operators. What is the minimum number of match sticks required to formulate a valid mathematical equation involving at least one operation?
- The number of integer solutions of the equations xy=2x-y.
How to prepare for CAT?
- This is one of the toughest MBA examinations in India. Thus, students please be well prepared before attending this exam.
- Plan your lessons well. This is most important thing because planning makes you aware of the number of topics, less important and more important topics, most important questions and so on.
- Take part in the mock test conducted through online websites. This is very important to be clear in the examination pattern and types of questions asked.
- Know your strengths and weakness. Try to differentiate this because knowing your strengths and weakness will give you an idea of what type of questions can be attended first.
- Time management is very important than all. Try to manage your time and try to complete your questions before specified time.
- Revise your syllabus again and again. This will be not only helping you to brush up your memory but also helps to sharpen your brain.
- Always give attention towards your health. Eat healthy and stay healthy.
Admit card for CAT 2015:
This is the most important document without which the candidate is not allowed to enter the examination hall. This admit card contains the details such as full name of the candidate, date of birth, test centre choice, language of the question paper, number of questions, number of marks and duration of the exam. The admit card can be downloaded from October 21st till the examination date. Candidates must bring their admit cards during the examination without fail.
The results will be declared on the second week of January 2016. Results are published on the official site of CAT. The candidates those who have secured merit marks are then sent to the group discussion process and personal interview for the final selection.
The examination conducting authorities will shortlist the candidates according to the availability of seats, and performance of the candidates.
In order to ensure equity in performance, the scores of the candidates are subjected to normalization process. The scaled scores are converted into the percentiles for the purposes of short listing the candidates.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: