Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Combined Graduate Level (Tier-I) Examination-2018 Held on June 4, 2019
Part 1 General Intelligence and Reasoning
1. Which two signs should be interchanged in the following equation to make it correct?
18 + 6 – 6 ÷ 3 × 3 = 6
(a) + and −
(b) + and ÷
(c) − and ÷
(d) + and ×
2. Arrange the following words in a logical and meaningful order
(1) Medicine (2) Diagnosis
(3) Prescription (4) Illness
(5) Recovery (6) Doctor
(a) 4, 6, 2, 3, 1, 5
(b) 4, 6, 1, 3, 2, 5
(c) 2, 6, 4, 1, 3, 5
(d) 4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 5
3. Select the figure that will come next in the following figure series.
4. Three of the following four n umber are alike in a certain way and one is different. Pick the number that is different from the rest.
5. If BACK is coded as 11312 and CAKE is coded as 51113, then how will MADE be coded as?
6. Select the number-pair in which the two number are related in the same way as are the two number of the following number-pair. 4 : 32
(a) 8 : 248
(b) 5 : 62
(c) 10 : 160
(d) 6 : 108
7. Select the Venn-diagram that best illustrates the relationship between the following classes.
Parents, Rich Persons, Farmers
8. In a code language, TEMPLE is written as DKOLDS. How will WORSHIP be written as in that language?
9. P is the father of Q and the grandfather of R, who is the brother of S. S’s mother, T, is married to V. T is the sister of Q. How is V related to P?
10. Which number will replace the question mark in the following series?
2, 5, 11, 23, 44, ?
11. ‘Action’ is related to ‘Reaction’ in the same way as ‘Stimulus’ is related to ‘……’.
12. Select the option in which the given figure is embedded.
13. Two different positions of the same dice are shown. Which number will be the top if 6 is at the bottom?
14. Three of the following four letter-cluster are alike in a certain way and one is different. Select the odd one out.
15. Select the combination of letters that when sequentially placed in the gaps of the given letters series will complete the series.
16. Two statements are given followed by three conclusions numbered I, II and III. Assuming the statements to be true, even if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts, decide which of the conclusions logically follow(s) from the statements.
Some cars are vehicles.
No vehicle is a four-wheeler.
(I) No car is a four-wheeler.
(II) All four-wheelers are cars.
(III) Some vehicles are cars.
(a) Only conclusions I and II follow
(b) All conclusions follow
(c) Only conclusion III follows
(d) Only conclusions I follows
17. Select the option that is related to the third letter-cluster in the same way as the second letter-cluster is related to the first letter-cluster.
BECD : YVXW : DGEF : ?
18. Select the set in which the number are related in the same way as are the numbers of the following set
(7, 13, 21)
(a) (12, 18, 25)
(b) (17, 22, 30)
(c) (9, 16, 25)
(d) (2, 8, 16)
19. In the following four words, three words are similar in a certain way and one word is different. Select the dissimilar word.
20. How many triangles are there in the following figures?
21. Select the correct mirror image of the given figure when the mirror is placed to the right of the figure.
22. A paper is folded and cut as shown below. How will it appear when unfolded?
23. Select the word-pair in which the two words are related in the same way as are the two words in the following word pair
Heat : Sun
(a) Home : Terrace
(b) Ride : Car
(c) Atmosphere : Humidity
(d) Vitamin : Fruit
24. Select the set in which the numbers are related in the same way as the numbers of the following set
(10, 18, 38)
(a) (4, 12, 22)
(b) (14, 12, 8)
(c) (12, 22, 46)
(d) (18, 6, 14)
25. 10 years ago, a father’s age was times that of his son and 10 years from now, the father’s age will be times that of the son. What will be the sum of the ages of the father and the son at present?
(a) 100 yr
(b) 110 yr
(c) 115 yr
(d) 120 yr
Part 2 General Awareness
26. Which of the following Biosphere Reserves was the first to be established by the government of India?
(a) Gulf of Mannar
(c) Nanda Devi
27. ……….. is a group folk dance of Sikkim performed in honour of Mount Khangchendzonga, the guardian deity of the Sikkimese people.
(b) Tendong Lo Rum Faat
28. The idea of residual powers in Indian Constitution has been taken from the Constitution of
(a) South Africa
(d) The USA
29. Name the pass in Uttarakhand which is used by pilgrims to Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra.
(a) Pensi La
(b) Lipu Lekh
(c) Banihal Pass
(d) Khardung La
30. Buckminsterfullerene is an allotrope of
31. Name the first ever female Prime Minister in the world.
(a) Indira Gandhi
(b) Sirimavo Bandaranaike
(c) Golda Meir
(d) Elizabeth Domitien
32. Which panel set-up by the government of India suggested total decontrol of the sugar industry?
(a) Ram Sevak Panel
(b) Rangarajan Panel
(c) Radhe Shyam Panel
(d) Sri Krishna Panel
33. In India, the Project Tiger was started in
34. Who was the first ever female Secretary General of South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC)?
(a) Antonio Guterres
(b) Fathimath Dhiyana Saeed
(c) Jeremiah Nyamane Kingsley
(d) Madeleine Albright
35. Which of the following States passed the Maintenance of Household Registers Bill in March, 2019?
(c) West Bengal
36. Which of the following Public Sector Undertakings was accorded the Maharatna status in February, 2013?
37. ………. is the traditional musical instrument of the Limboo community of Sikkim.
(b) Jeurum Silly
38. How many great powers (Mahajanpadas) existed in the 7th and early 6th centuries BC, during the life time of Lord Gautam Buddha?
39. Which of the following has a strong fruity fragrance?
(a) Methyl chloride
(b) Methanoic acid
(d) Ethyl acetate
40. Name the gland that controls the functioning of other endocrine glands.
(b) Pituitary gland
(c) Pineal gland
(d) Adrenal gland
41. Which team won the Ranji Trophy Final 2017?
42. Name the first Indian budget carrier to join the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
(b) Spice Jet
(d) Jet Airways
43. Which of the following is an aldehyde?
44. In March 2019, social media platforms and the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) presented a ………. for the General Election 2019 to the Election Commission of India.
(a) Centre of Voting List
(b) Detailed To Do List
(c) Precautionary Code
(d) Voluntary Code of Ethics
45. Who was the founder of the Chalukya dynasty?
(d) Pulakesin I
46. Which of the following Articles of the Constitution of India deals with the Uniform Civil Code?
47. The Special Olympics World Games 2019 was inaugurated at
(d) Abu Dhabi
48. Which of the following is the first working prototype of Internet?
49. Which of the following is not one of the monarchical states that existed in the 7th and early 6th centuries BC in India?
50. Name the State Chandragupta-I got in dowry from the Lichhavis.
Part 3 Quantitative Aptitude
51. If the 8-digit number 789x531y is divisible by 72, then the value of (5x – 37) is
52. The income of Raju is 20% more than his expenditure. If his income increase by 60% and his expenditure increases by 70%, then by what percent does his savings increase/decrease?
(a) It decreases by 10%
(b) It decreases by 2%
(c) It increases by 10%
(d) It increases by 2%
53. A triangle ABC is inscribed in a circle with centre O. AO is produced to meet the circle at K and AD ⊥ If ∠B = 80° and ∠C = 64°, then the measure of ∠DAK is
54. If cos θ = 2p/(1 + p2), then tan θ is equal to
Directions (Q. Nos. 55-56) The table shows the production of different type of cars (in thousands).
55. If the data regarding the production of cars of type B is represented by a pie-chart, then the angle of the sector representing the production of cars in 2016 will be
56. The total production of cars of type B in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 taken together is what percent less than the total production of all types of cars in 2017? (Correct to one decimal place)
57. If 0° < θ < 90° and cos2 θ = 3(cot2 θ – cos2 θ) then the value of
(a) √3 + 2
(b) 2(2 – √3)
(c) 2(√3 – 1)
(d) √3 + 1
58. If 16x2 + 9y2 + 4z2 = 24 (x – y + z) – 61, then the value of (xy + 2z) is
59. If x + y + z = 19, xy + yz + zx = 114, then the value of is
60. In ∆ ABC, AD ⊥ BC and BE ⊥ AD and BE intersect each other at F. If BF = AC, then the measure of ∠ABC is
61. Two circles of radii 10 cm and 8 cm intersect at the points P and Q. If PQ = 12 cm, and the distance between the centres of the circles is x cm. The value of x (correct to one decimal place) is
62. is equal to
(a) cosec2 θ
(b) sec2 θ
(c) cot2 θ
(d) 2 tan2 θ
63. The table shows the production of different types of cars (in thousands).
The ratio of the total production of cars of type C and E taken together in 2013 to the total production of cars of type D in 2014 and 2016 and type E in 2017 taken together is
(a) 8 : 13
(b) 5 : 8
(c) 13 : 32
(d) 8 : 11
64. If [8(x + y)3 – 27 (x – y)3] ÷ (5y – x) = Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2, then the value of (A + B + C) is
65. A takes 30 minutes more than B to cover a distance of 15 km at a certain speed. But if A doubles his speed, he takes one hour less than B to cover the same distance. What is the speed of B?
(a) 6 km/h
(b) 5 km/h
66. The value of 5 ÷ 5 of 5 × 2 + 2 ÷ 2 of 2 × 5 – (5 – 2) ÷ 6 × 2 is
67. If x is subtracted from each of 23, 39, 32 and 56, the number so obtained, in this order, are in proportion. What is the mean proportional between (x + 4) and (3x + 1) ?
68. The marked price of an article is Rs 315. It is sold for Rs 288. If there is a loss of 4%, then by what percent above the cost is the article market?
69. The ratio of the efficiencies of A, B and C is 4 : 5 : 3. Working together, they can complete that work in 25 days. A and C together will complete 35% of that work in
(a) 12 days
(b) 10 days
(c) 18 days
(d) 15 days
70. The compound interest on a certain sum in years at 10% p.a. interest compounded yearly, is Rs 1623. The sum is
(a) Rs 5000
(b) Rs 6000
(c) Rs 6500
(d) Rs 7200
71. ∆ ABC is similar to ∆ The area of ∆ ABC is 100 cm2 and the area of ∆ DEF is 49 cm2. If the altitude of ∆ ABC = 5 cm, then the corresponding altitude of ∆ DEF is
(a) 7 cm
(b) 4.5 cm
(c) 6 cm
(d) 3.5 cm
72. Renu bought an article for Rs 1240 and sold it at a loss of 25%. With this amount, she bought another article and sold it at a gain of 40%. Her overall percentage profit is
73. How much iron sheet (in m2) will be needed to construct a rectangular tank measuring 10 m × 8 m × 6 m, if a circular opening of radius one metre is to be left at the top of the tank? (correct of one decimal place)
74. The table shows the production of different types of cars (in thousands).
The production of cars of type A in 2015 and of type C in 2013 taken together is approximately what percent of the total production of cars of type D in five years?
75. The average weight of a certain number of students in a class is 68.5 kg. If 4 new students having weights 72.2 kg, 70.8 kg, 70.3 kg and 66.7 kg join the class, then the average weight of all the students increases by 300 g. The number of students in the class, initially, is
Part 4 English Language
76. Select the correct passive form of the given sentence.
Do not park your car in front of my house.
(a) My house should not be parked in front of your car.
(b) Your car need not be parked in front of my house.
(c) Your car could not be parked in front of my house.
(d) Your car should not be parked in front of my house.
77. Select the word which means the same as the group of words given. A person, animal or plant belonging originally to a place.
78. Select the antonym of the given word.
79. Select the antonym of the given word.
80. Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
The State government argued that it could not ………….. the increase in the teachers’ salaries as awarded by the court.
81. Given below are four jumbled sentences. Select the option that gives their correct order.
(A) That sort of pollution, which is also widespread in other South-East Asian nations, regularly kills wildlife like whales and turtles that ingest the waste.
(B) Environmental groups have tagged the Philippines as one of the world’s biggest ocean polluters due to its reliance on single-use plastic.
(C) In Thailand also, a whale died last year after swallowing more than 80 plastic bags.
(D) In the latest case, a whale with 40 kilos of plastic trash in its stomach died on Saturday in southern Philippines where it was stranded a day earlier.
82. Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
Scientists at Cambridge University are ……… how plants can give us sustainable energy.
83. Select the wrongly spelt word.
84. Select he most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If no substitution is required, select ‘No Improvement’.
I look for a better job for the last two months, but nothing is in sight.
(a) have looked for a better job
(b) looked for a better job
(c) have been looking for a better job
(d) No improvement
85. Select the correct active form of the given sentence.
The main gate of the building was being guarded by gun-totting guards.
(a) The main gate of the building were guarding gun-totting guards.
(b) Gun-totting guards were guarding the main gate of the building.
(c) Gun-totting guards have been guarding the main gate of the building.
(d) Gun-totting guards guarded the main gate of the building.
86. In the sentence, identify the segment which contains the grammatical error. Due to the Cyclone Idai vas areas of land have been flooded, roads destroyed and communications disrupting in Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
(a) vast areas of land have been flooded
(b) roads destroyed
(c) due to the Cyclone Idai
(d) and communications disrupting
87. Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom
Costs and arm an a leg
(a) Rarely available
(b) Easy to obtain
(c) Nothing to lose
(d) Very expensive
Directions (Q. No. 88-92) In the following passage some words have been deleted. Fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given. Select the most appropriate option for each blank.
An Italian mayour has been cleaning the streets along with his councilors after their town (1) _______ with no manual worker, it’s reported. In fact, (2) ____ was sweeping the plaza in front of the (3) ____ church in preparation for market day, (4) _____ the deputy mayor’s father and a town councilor armed with a high-pressure hose. The town Zerfaliu’s last (5) _____ retired six months ago and nobody has been hired since then. ‘We can’t do anything-we are blocked by bureaucracy,’ the mayour says.
88. Select the most appropriate option for blank No. 1.
(b) was left
(c) was leaving
(d) has left
89. Select the most appropriate option for blank No.
90. Select the most appropriate option for blank No.
91. Select the most appropriate option for blank No.
(a) as well
92. Select the most appropriate option for blank No.
93. Given below are four jumbled sentences. Select the option that gives their correct order.
(A) The elephant tusks were tracked from the Democratic Republic of Congo for two months.
(B) Customs of officials in Thailand say it’s the biggest seizure in the country’s history.
(C) Four tones of ivory, with a market value of $6 million-it was n impressive haul.
(D) Officials say they were being transported to Laos, from where they believed the ivory would be sold to customers across Asia.
94. Select the wrongly spelt word.
95. Select the synonym of the given word.
96. Select the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If no substitution is required, select No improvement.
If you join this job now, it proves to be good in the long run.
(a) No improvement
(b) it has proved to be good
(c) it proves good
(d) it will prove to be good
97. In the sentences identify the segment which contains the grammatical error.
She got two quick promotions in order that she has good communications skills.
(a) two quick promotions
(b) in order that
(c) she has good communications skills
(d) she got
98. Select the most appropriate meaning of the idiom.
Get out of hand
(a) Get upset
(b) Give up something
(c) Get out of control
(d) To complete a task
99. Select the synonym of the given word.
100. Select the word which means the same as the group of words given.
A person without a settled home or regular work who wanders from place to place an lives by begging.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: