Staff Selection Commission Combined Higher Secondary Level (10+2)
Examination-2016 Tier-I Held on 7 February, 2017
Directions-(Q. 1 to 4) Select the related word/letters/number from the given alternatives.
1. A Suitable Boy : Vikram Seth :: Gitanjali : ?
(A) R. K. Narayan
(B) Mulk Raj Anand
(C) Rabindra Nath Tagore
(D) Munshi Prem Chand
2. ASK : KAS :: SAW : ?
3. MALAYALAM : MALAYALAM :: SYSTEM : ?
4. 36 : 3 :: 108 : ?
Directions – (Q. 5 to 8) Select the odd word/letters/number pair from the given alternatives.
Directions- (Q. 9 to 12) A series is given with one term missing. Select the correct alternative from the given ones that will complete the series.
9. Mercury, Venus, Earth ?
10. LOR, PSV, TWZ, ?
11. BCD, HIJ, OPQ, ?
12. 28, 42, 56, ?
Directions-In the following question, two statements are given each followed by two conclusions I and II. You have to consider the statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You have to decide which of the given conclusions, if any, follows from the given statements.
13. Statements I : The sowing of winter crops has been completed in 87% of the seasonal area and its above normal this time.
(I) It is considered as delay because the potential of sowing is not completely utilized.
(II) Cultivation is based upon timings.
(A) Only Conclusion II follows
(B) Conclusions I and II both follow
(C) Neither I nor II follow
(D) Only conclusion I follows
14. Seven people are standing facing south. B is second to the right of the person in the middle and C is third to the left of B. A is to the immediate left of C. What is the position of A with respect to the person in the middle?
(A) Second to the right
(B) Immediate right
(C) Immediate left
(D) Second to the left
15. Arrange the given words in the sequence in which they occur in the dictionary.
(1) Addiction (2) Adhesive
(3) Astonishing (4) Adhere
(A) 1, 4, 2, 3
(B) 4, 3, 1, 2
(C) 2, 3, 1, 4
(D) 1, 4, 3, 2
16. In a certain code language, ‘DOMAIN’ is written as ‘563471’ and ‘TIRED’ is written as ‘27895’. How is ‘TENDER’ written in the code language?
Direction-In the following question, select the missing number from the given series.
18. If ‘−’ means ‘plus’, ‘×’ means ‘divided by’, ‘÷’ mean ‘multiplied by’ and ‘+’ mean minus, then- 357 × 7 ÷ 3 + 53 – 10 = ?
Direction-In the following question, which one set of letters when sequentially placed at the gaps in the given letter series shall complete it?
20. A man is facing the west direction and from there he walks 10 km in the right and then turns left and walks another 6 km. Then, he turns 90° clockwise and walks for another 6 km and finally walks 6 km in the east. Find the distance between his initial and final position.
(A) 8 km
(B) 6 km
(C) 10 km
(D) √244 km
21. A word is represented by only one set of numbers as given in any one of the alternatives. The sets of numbers given in the alternatives are represented by two classes of alphabets as shown in the given two matrices. The columns and rows of Matrix-I are numbered from 0 to 4 and that of Matrix-II are numbered from 5 to 9. A letter from these matrices can be represented first by its row and next by its column, for example, ‘A’ can be represented by 12, 23 etc. and ‘G’ can be represented by 67, 78 etc. Similarly, you have to identify the set for the word ‘SONNET’.
(A) 10, 57, 85, 96, 76, 00
(B) 21, 68, 24, 85, 55, 22
(C) 32, 79, 13, 67, 77, 34
(D) 43, 96, 02, 24, 99, 44
22. Pointing to a person, a man says, “His sister’s father is the uncle of my wife”. How is the person related to the man?
23. If a mirror is placed on the line MN, then which of the answer figures in the right image of the given figure?
24. Identify the diagram that best represents the relationship among the given classes.
Languages, Hindi, Bengai, Ramayan
25. A piece of paper is folded and punched as shown below in the question figures. From the given answer figures, indicate how it will appear when opened.
26. Where do metabolism cell reactions take place?
27. Which of these is not a language in India?
28. ‘Ranni ki vav’ in Gujarat is a famous …………. .
(B) Valley of Flowers
29. Who among the following hasn’t received Bharat Ratna?
(A) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
(B) Madan Mohan Malaviya
(C) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
(D) V. P. Singh
30. Which drug is used to cure Allergies?
31. Oytes belongs to the phylum …………. .
32. Atomic mass of Oxygen is 16 and atomic number is 8. What is the mass in grams of 2 moles of oxygen gas?
33. Atomic number of which of the following elements is greater than that of Potassium-
34. Commonly used abbreviation SQL in computer science stands for?
(A) System Query Language
(B) Search Query Language
(C) Structured Query Language
(D) Single Query Language
35. Priya likes a wedding gown so much that she was willing to pay even Rs 30,000 for it. Luckly she finds the same gown marked Rs 25,000 at a local store. The store is further offering a 30% discount on the gown. Priya’s consumer surplus is-
(A) Rs 5,000
(B) Rs 12,500
(C) Rs 7,500
(D) Rs 25,000
36. An increase in the price of tomatoes will cause ………. .
(A) an increase in the supply of tomatoes
(B) a decrease in the supply of tomatoes
(C) an increase in the supply of tomato ketchup
(D) a decrease in the supply of tomato ketchup
37. Kawal Tiger Reserve is in which state?
(C) Tamil Nadu
(D) West Bengal
38. Ranthambore National Park is in which state?
(A) Madhya Pradesh
39. Which sector has the highest number of people working in India?
40. An artificial navigation channel is called …………… .
(B) Greenhouse effect
41. Pyongyang is the Capital city of …………. .
(A) Saudi Arabia
(B) North Korea
(C) Czech Republic
(D) Trinidad and Tobago
42. Tipu Sultan lost his life in the ………… Anglo-Mysore war.
43. Jodha Bai was married to ………… .
44. Tetris, a type of video game was invented by ………… .
(A) Alexander Parkes
(B) Luigi Palmieri
(C) Alexey Pajitnov
(D) Ransom Eli Olds
45. …………. is the mechanical transfer of energy to a system or from a system by an external force on it.
46. What is myopia?
(A) Inability to see distant objects clearly
(B) Abnormal functioning of the thyroid gland
(C) It is a condition of enlargement of heart
(D) It is a kidney disorder
47. When was the Election Commission of India formed?
48. The number of parliamentary seats (Lok Sabha) of Tamil Nadu is ………… .
49. Kimi Raikkonen is associated with which Sport?
(A) Lawn Tennis
(C) Formula One
50. Who is the author of ‘Love Stories that Touched My Heart’?
(A) Amitav Ghosh
(B) Mitali Meelan
(C) Ravinder Singh
(D) Sudha Murty
51. If then the value of is-
52. If cot(A/2) = , then the value of x is-
53. If then the value of x is-
54. At 19% discount the selling price of a freezer is Rs 24,000, what is the selling price if the discount is 32.5%?
(A) Rs 13,500
(B) Rs 20,000
(C) Rs 16,065
(D) Rs 21,465
55. How many balls of radius 10 cm can be made by melting a bigger ball of diameter 80 cm?
56. On dividing a number by 54, we get 86 as quotient and 13 as remainder. What is the number?
57. In the first 44 overs of a cricket match, the run rate was 5.1 runs/over. Calculate the required run rate in the remaining 6 overs to reach the target of 294 runs?
58. ∆GHI is similar to ∆ If the ratio of Perimeter of ∆GHI : Perimeter of ∆KLM = 4 : 9 and length of GH is 8 cm what is the length of the corresponding side KL?
(A) 81 cm
(B) 18 cm
(C) 27 cm
(D) 54 cm
59. A(4, −3) and C(0, 7) are vertices of a square ABCD. Find equation of diagonal BD?
(A) 2x – 5y = 6
(B) 2x + 5y = −6
(C) 2x – 5y = −6
(D) 2x + 5y = 6
60. What is the measure of an exterior angle of a regular nonagon?
61. The circumference of a circle is 88 cm, find its diameter?
(A) 14 cm
(B) 7 cm
(C) 28 cm
(D) 21 cm
62. If 10A = 3B = 7C; find the A : B : C _____
(A) 30 : 70 : 21
(B) 21 : 70 : 30
(C) 70 : 21 : 30
(D) 7 : 3 : 10
63. Coefficient of x2 in (x + 5) (3 – 2x) (4x – 2) is____
64. On a certain Principal if the simple interest for two years is Rs 2,600 and Compound interest for the two years is 2.769, what is the rate of interest?
65. If x + y = 14 and x2 + y2 = 100, then find xy__
66. The total cost of a refrigerator with an oven was Rs 12,000. The oven was sold at a profit of 20% and the refrigerator at a loss of 28%. If the sale price was the same in both the items, then the cost price of the cheaper item was__
(A) Rs 4,500
(B) Rs 7,500
(C) Rs 6,000
(D) Rs 5,000
67. A does 75% of a work in 45 days. He then calls in B and they together finish the remaining work in 5 days. How long B alone would take to do the whole work?
(A) 15 days
(B) 45 days
(C) 60 days
(D) 30 days
68. Two cars travel from city A to city B at a speed of 48 and 60 km/hr respectively. If one car take 3.5 hours lesser time then the other car for the journey, then the distance between City A and City B is_____
(A) 1008 km
(B) 1260 km
(C) 840 km
(D) 672 km
69. The sum of the digits of a 2-digit number is 12, if we add 54 to the number, then new number obtained is a number formed by interchange of the digits. Find the number.
70. If 2x + 2(1 – x) > 3x – 2 > 2x – 5; then x can take which of the following values?
71. If the radius of a circle is increased by 12% then its area increases by-
72. Refer the below data table and answer the following question-
What is the value of the total stock (in lakh rupees)?
73. Refer the below data table and answer the following questions :
If the imports in 2012 was Rs 900 crores and the total exports in the years 2012 and 2013 together was Rs 4,000 crores, then the imports in 2013 was?
74. Refer the below data table and answer the following question:
What was the increase in the height of the child from the 10th Birthday to the 14th Birthday?
(A) 25 cms
(B) 20 cms
(C) 30 cms
(D) 15 cms
75. Refer the below data table and answer the following question:
Between 10 pm to 6 am, a fitness band records the following data. How long was the user in Light sleep or in Extremely light sleep?
(A) 1.7 hours
(B) 2.7 hours
(C) 3.2 hours
(D) 3.7 hours
Directions-(Q. 76 and 77) Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.
76. A certified, verifiable
B would be a valuable
Q all-purpose identity card
R document for many people
77. As for the tasks
P three important ones
Q ahead, there appear
R to be at least
78. Select the antonym of
(A) to concoct
(B) to plot
(C) to forge
(D) to raze
Direction-In the following question, sentence given with blank is to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
79. Because a waterfall is so ……., people can sit and watch it for hours.
Direction-In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase.
80. The process by which air is circulated through, mixed with or dissolved in a liquid or substance.
Direction-(Q. 81-83) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternatives which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
81. to go down like a lead balloon
(A) losing all the money while gambling
(B) an idea on which one has a lot of hope, but it fails
(C) failure in business or venture
(D) a speech, proposal, or joke that is poorly received
82. Select the synonym of
83. To get one’s walking papers
(A) One has the right to entry within a country or community
(B) One is discharged from a hospital or mental asylum
(C) One can leave
(D) One is free of imprisonment
Direction-In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one, which best express the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.
84. Jay says, “I eat a guava”.
(A) Jay said, that he ate a guava
(B) Jay said, that he has been eating guavas.
(C) Jay says, that he eats a guava.
(D) Jay said, he ate a guava.
Directions-(Q. 85 and 86) Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
85. Candidates will have to (give) the test again tomorrow.
(D) no improvement
86. Tanveer has wisdom, charm, and (he had a good) sense of humour.
(A) a good
(B) Tanveer has a good
(C) he has a good
(D) no improvement
Direction-Select the synonym of
Direction-Select the antonym of
88. to impair
(A) to debilitate
(B) to mar
(C) to mend
(D) to blunt
Direction-Select the word with the correct speling.
Direction-In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
90. To make a sharp sound or series of sounds as a result of a hard object striking another.
Direction-In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of four alternatives suggested, select the one, which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
91. Priya bought the car last year
(A) The car was being bought by Priya last year
(B) The car has been bought by Priya last year
(C) The car was bought by Priya last year
(D) The car had been bought by Priya last year
Directions-(Q. 92 and 93) In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select ‘No error’.
92. The airplane took (A)/ of a soon as I (B)/ arrived at the airport (C)/ No error (D)
93. This is in between (A)/ you and me, not (B)/ the entire neighbourhood. (C)/ No error (D)
Direction-Select the word with the correct spelling.
Direction-In the following question, sentence given with blank is to be filled in the with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
95. The approaching hurricane is sure to be a ……. that will affect the lives of millions.
Directions-(Q. 96-100) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives.
The ultimate objective is to ensure that each citizen participates ………… the multiple transactions of society with confidence, and with the assurance that her ‘voice’ carries ………. weight as her ……….. That is, the transition ……….. subject to agent can only be achieved if people are liberated from ……. poverty and grinding illiteracy, malnutrition, hunger and homelessness.
96. The ultimate objective is to ensure that each citizen participates ………… .
97. with the assurance that her ‘voice’ carries ……… .
(A) as much
(B) as much as
(C) so much
(D) much more
98. weight as her ……
99. the transition …… subject to agent
100. people are liberated from ……. poverty and grinding.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: