IIFT Admission Test for 2016-18 2015 Question Paper
1. Which multilateral development bank has been set up by BRICS as an alternative to the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund?
(A) The New Development Bank
(B) The Asian Development Bank
(C) The Bank for Emerging Nations
(D) The Economic Cooperation Bank
2. Given below are some popular stock indices of the world. Match the stock index with the country and stock market it represents.
(A) I-d; II-b; III-a; IV-c
(B) I-b; II-d; III-c; IV-a
(C) I-a; II-c; III-b; IV-d
(D) I-c; II-a; III-d; IV-b
3. The remains of which ancient civilization can be seen at the site of Machu Pichu in Peru?
4. Who is acknowledged as the creator of Chandigarh’s Rock Garden?
(A) E. Sreedharan
(B) Nek Chand Saini
(C) Charles Correa
(D) Geoffrey Bawa
5. Which is the first Eurozone nation to exit its bailout package?
6. Match the name of the city with the river on whose banks it is located
(A) I-d; II-a; III-b; IV-c
(B) I-b; II-c; III-d; IV-a
(C) I-c; II-d; III-a; IV-b
(D) I-a; II-b; III-c; IV-d
7. What is the motto of the 2016 Summer Olympics to be held in Rio de Janeiro?
(A) Live Your Passion
(B) One World, One Dream
(C) Friends Forever
(D) Harmony and Progress
8. Which film won the 2015 Oscar Award for the “Best Animated Feature Film”?
(A) Song of the Sea
(B) How to train your Dragon 2
(C) Big Hero 6
(D) The Boxtrolls
9. Who among the following has won the maximum all time Grand Slam Women’s Singles titles?
(A) Serena Williams
(B) Margaret Court
(C) Steffi Graf
(D) Martina Navratilova
10. Match the name of the Multinational Firm with whom the following Indians are/have been associated as CEO.
(A) I-c; II-d; III-a; IV-b
(B) I-b; II-a; III-c; IV-d
(C) I-d; II-c; III-b; IV-a
(D) I-a; II-b; III-d; IV-c
11. A person with ‘AB’ blood group is also called a universal recipient because of the
(A) Lack of antigens in the blood
(B) Lack of antibodies in the blood
(C) Lack of both antigens and antibodies in the blood
(D) Presence of both antigens and antibodies in the blood
12. Who is the Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog?
(A) Arvind Panagariya
(B) Arun Maira
(C) Raghuram Rajan
(D) Arvind Subramaniam
13. The first Export Processing Zone of Asia was set up in
14. Who launched a ‘crowd funding’ campaign to raise funds for bailing out Greece?
(A) Thomas Feeney
(B) Thomas Friedman
(C) Thomson Reuters
(D) Thomas Edison
15. Match the name of the book with its author.
(A) I-a; II-b; III-d; IV-c
(B) I-d; II-a; III-b; IV-c
(C) I-d; II-d; III-a; IV-b
(D) I-a; II-d; III-c; IV-b
16. The US recently announced that its redesigned ten-dollar bill, to be issued in 2020, will include the
(A) Face of a Lion
(B) Face of an Elephant
(C) Face of a Woman
(D) Face of a Dragon
17. The new Centre-State tax sharing model Promised a 10% increase in the State’s share. This 10% increase will result from increasing the share from
(A) 32% to 42%
(B) 22% to 32%
(C) 42% to 52%
(D) None of the above
18. Which of the following countries is not a member of European Union?
19. As per the monetary policy agreement between RBI and the Finance Ministry, the RBI is required to maintain inflation in the range of:
(A) 2% to 6%
(B) 4% to 10%
(C) 3% to 9%
(D) 5% to 8%
20. Who discovered “Pluto’ in the year 1930?
(A) Clyde Tombaugh
(B) Albert Einstein
(C) Carl Sagan
(D) Jacques Cousteau
21. According to the World Investment Report 2015 published by UNCTAD, which of the following countries was the largest recipient of FDI inflows in 2014?
22. Euro dollars are
(A) A currency issued by European Union
(B) Special currency issued by the Federal Government of USA for Europe
(C) US dollars held in Europe
(D) European currencies exchanged for the US dollar in US
23. Match the Prime Ministers and Presidents of India who have been contemporaries in Office.
(A) I-a; II-b; III-c; IV-d
(B) I-b; II-a; III-d; IV-c
(C) I-a; II-c; III-b; IV-d
(D) I-b; II-d; III-a; IV-c
24. Mark the wrong combination
(A) James Watt : Steam Engine
(B) A. G. Bell : Telephone
(C) J. L. Baird : Television
(D) J. Perkins : Penicillin
25. Mother Teresa was born in
26. In 1985-86, an official policy introduced by Gorbachev in Soviet Union that stressed on honest discussion about the country’s social issues and concerns was called
27. The British cosmologist Stephen Hawking and the Russian entrepreneur Yuri Milner have launched a project to search for the extra-terrestrial life. This project is called:
(A) The Breakthrough Listen Project
(B) The Cosmic Breakthrough Project
(C) The Extra Terrestrial Project
(D) The Edge of the Universe Project
28. Match the name of the organization with the name of the city in which it is headquartered.
(A) I-d; II-c; III-a; IV-b
(B) I-a; II-b; III-d; IV-c
(C) I-c; II-a; III-b; IV-d
(D) I-b; II-d; III-c; IV-a
29. The internal evaluation for Economics course in an Engineering programme is based on the score of four quizzes. Rahul has secured 70, 90 and 80 in the first three quizzes. The fourth quiz has ten True-False type questions, each carrying 10 marks. What is the probability that Rahul’s average internal marks for the Economics course is more than 80, given that he decides to guess randomly on the final quiz?
30. In 2004, Rohini was thrice as old as her brother Arvind. In 2014, Rohini was only six years older than her brother. In which year was Rohini born?
31. If p, q and r are three unequal numbers such that p, q and r are in A.P., and p, ,r-q and q-p are in G.P., then p : q : r is equal to:
(A) 1 : 2 : 3
(B) 2 : 3 : 4
(C) 3 : 2 : 1
(D) 1 :3 :4
32. If log25 5 = a and long25 15 = b, then the value of log25 27 is:
(A) 3(b + a)
(B) 3(a – b – a)
(C) 3(a + b – 1)
(D) 3(1 – b + a)
33. During the essay writing stage of MBA admission process in a reputed B-School, each group consists of 10 students. In one such group, two students are batchmates from the same IIT-department. Assuming that the students are sitting in a row, the number of ways in which the students can sit to that the two batchmates are not sitting next to each other, is:
(D) None of the above
34. The pre-paid recharge of Airtel gives 21% less talktime than the same price pre-paid recharge of Vodafone. The post-paid recharge, having the same price. Further, the post-paid talktime of same price of Vodafone is 15% less than its pre-paid recharge. How much percent less/more talktime can one get from the Airtel post-paid service compared to the post-paid service of Vodafone?
(A) 3.9% m ore
(B) 4.7% less
(C) 4.7% more
(D) 2.8% less
35. As a strategy towards retention of customers, the service centre of a split AC machine manufacture offers discount as per the following rule: for the second service in a year, the customer can avail of a 10% discount; for the third and fourth servicing within a year, the customer can avail of 11% and 12% discounts respectively of the previous amount paid. Finally, i f a customer gets more than four services within a year, he has to pay just 55% of t he original servicing charges. If Rohan has availed 5 services from the same service centre in a given year, the total percentage discount availed by him is approximately:
36. A tank is connected with both inlet pipes and outlet pipes. Individually, an inlet pipe can fill the tank in 7 hours and an outlet pipe can empty it in 5 If all the pipes are kept open, it takes exactly 7 hours for a completely filled-in tank to empty. If the total number of pipes connected to the tank is 11, how many of these are inlet pipes?
37. In a certain village, 22% of the families own agricultural land, 18% own a mobile phone and 1600 families own both agricultural land and a mobile If 68% of the families neither own agricultural land nor a mobile phone, then the total number of families living in the village is:
38. In the board meeting of a FMCG Company, everybody present in the meeting shakes hand with everybody else. If the total number of handshakes is 78, the number of members who attended the board meeting is:
39. A firm is thinking of buying printer for its office use for the next one year. The criterion for choosing is based on the least per-page printing cost. It can choose between in inkjet printer which costs Rs 5000 and a laser printer which costs Rs 8000. The per-page printing cost ofr an inkjet is Rs. 1.80 and that for a laser printer is Rs 1.50. The firm should purchase the laser printer, if the minimum number of pages to be printed in the year exceeds
40. If in the figure below, angle XYZ = 90° and the length of the arc XZ = 10π, then the area of the sector XYZ is:
(D) None of the above
41. A chartered bus carrying office employees travels everyday in two shifts-morning and evening. In the evening, the bus travels at an average speed which is 50% greater than the morning average speed; but takes 50% more time than the amount of time it takes in the morning. The average speed of the chartered bus for the entire journey is greater/less than its average speed in the morning by:
(A) 18% less
(B) 30% greater
(C) 37.5% greater
(D) 50% less
42. If a right circular cylinder of height 14 is inscribed in a sphere of radius 8, then the volume of the cylinder is:
43. Seema has joined a new Company after the completion of her B. Tech from a reputed engineering college in Chennai. She saves 10% of her income in each of the first three months of her service and for every subsequent month, her savings are Rs 50 more than the savings of the immediate previous month. If her joining income was Rs. 3000, her total savings from the start of the service will be Rs. 11400 in:
(A) 6 months
(B) 12 months
(C) 18 months
(D) 24 months
44. Sailesh is working as a sales executive with a reputed FMCG company in Hyderabad. As per the Company’s policy, Sailesh gets a commission of 6% on all sales upto Rs. 1,00,000 and 5% on all sales in excess of this amount. If Sailesh remits Rs. 2,65,000 to the FMCG company after deducting his commission, his total sales were worth:
(A) Rs 1,20,000
(B) Rs 2,90,526
(C) Rs 2,21,054
(D) Rs 2,80,000
45. Three carpenters P, Q and R are entrusted with office furniture work. P can do a job in 42 days. If Q is 26% more efficient than P and R is 50% more efficient than Q, then Q and R together can finish the job in approximately:
(A) 11 days
(B) 13 days
(C) 15 days
(D) 17 days
46. There are two alloys P and Q made up of silver, copper and aluminium. Alloy P contains 45% silver and rest aluminium. Alloy Q contains 30% silver, 35% copper and rest aluminium. Alloys P and Q are mixed in the ratio o f 1 : 45. The approximate percentages of silver and copper in the newly formed alloy is :
(A) 33% and 29%
(B) 29% and 26%
(C) 35% and 30%
(D) None of the above
47. A ladder of 7.6 m long is standing against a wall and the difference between the wall and the base of the ladder is 6.4 m. If the top of the ladder now slips by 1.2 m, then the foot of the ladder shifts by approximately:
(A) 0.4 m
(B) 0.6 m
(C) 0.8 m
(D) 1.2 m
48. The value of x for which the equation will be satisfied, is:
49. The simplest value of the expression is:
50. In a reputed engineering college in Delhi, students are evaluated based on trimesters. The probability that an Engineering student fails in the first trimester is 0.08. If the does not fail in the first trimester, the probability that he is promoted to the second year is 0.87. The probability that the student will complete the first year in the Engineering College is approximately:
Directions (Qs. 51-55) : Solve these questions based on the information provided in the passage below:
Six engineers Anthony, Brad, Carla, Dinesh, Evan and Frank are offered jobs at six different locations-England, Germany, India, Australia, Singapore and UAE. The jobs offered are in six different branches, and are based on their competence as well as preference. The branches are IT, Mechanical, Chemical, Electronics, Metallurgy and Electrical, though not necessarily in the same order. Their placements are subjects to the following conditions:
i. The engineer in the Electrical Department is not placed in Germany.
ii. Anthony is placed in Singapore while Dinesh in UAE.
iii. Frank is not in the Metallurgy Department but Brad is in the Chemical Department.
iv. Evan is placed in the Mechanical Department while Frank is offered a job in Australia.
v. The only department offering jobs in India is the Chemical Department while there are no vacancies for IT in Singapore.
vi. Anthony is interested in IT and Electrical Department while Frank is interested in IT and Mechanical Department. Both of them settle for the options available based on their interests in the locations allotted to them.
vii. In recent years, UAE has emerged as a hug for metallurgy exports and thus recruitment is done for the same while all mechanical posts are in England.
51. Who joined the Electronics Department?
52. The person placed in UAE is in the-Department.
53. Out of the following, which is the correct combination?
54. Who joined the IT Department in Australia?
55. Which combination is true for Dinesh?
56. Based on the given statement, choose the right conclusion:
‘If the breakfast doesn’t have eggs, I will not go for a walk and will not have lunch.’
(A) If I went for a walk and didn’t have lunch, the breakfast didn’t have eggs.
(B) If I went for a walk or I had lunch, the breakfast had eggs.
(C) If I went for a walk and had lunch, the breakfast had eggs.
(D) If I didn’t go for a walk and had lunch, the breakfast had eggs.
Directions (Qs. 57-60) : Read the details below and answer these questions.
Due to astrological reasons, a mother named all her daughters with the alphabet ‘K’ as Kamla, Kamlesh, Kriti, Kripa, Kranti and Kalpana.
i. Kamala is not the tallest while Kripa is not the most qualified.
ii. The shortest is the most qualified amongst them all.
iii. Kalpana is more qualified than Kamlesh who is more qualified than Kriti.
iv. Kamla is less qualified than Kamlesh but is taller than Kamlesh.
v. Kalpana is shorter than kriti but taller than Kranti.
vi. Kriti is more qualified than Kamla while Kamlesh i s taller than Kriti.
vii. Kripa is the least qualified amongst the daughters.
57. Who is the third tallest starting in decreasing order of height?
58. Who is the most qualified?
59. What is the rank of Kriti in increasing order of qualification?
60. What is the rank of Kamla in increasing order of height?
61. Based on the number series given, fill in the missing, number.
18, 37, 76, 155m _____, 633, 1272
Directions (Qs. 62-64):Based on the conditions stated in the passage below, answer the questions that follow.
There are three countries, USA, UAE and UK. An exporter can select one country or two countries or all the three countries subject to the conditions below:
Condition 1: Both USA and UAE have to be selected.
Condition 2: Either USA or UK, but not both have to be selected.
Condition 3: UAE can be selected only if UK has been selected.
Condition 4: USA can be selected only if UK is selected.
62. How many countries can be selected if no condition is imposed?
63. How many countries can be selected to meet only condition 1?
64. How many countries can be selected to meet only conditions 2 and 3?
(B) 2 or 1
(C) 0 or 1
(D) None of these
65. Based on the following relations, which of the given options indicates that W is the niece of X?
A + B means that A is the brother of B.
A*B means that A is the father of B.
A – B means that A is the sister of B.
(A) X + Y + Z – W
(B) Z – W * Y + X
(C) X + Y * W – Z
(D) X * Y + W – Z
66. Alex walks 1 mile towards East and then he turns toward South and walks further 5 miles. After than he turns East and walks 2 miles further. Finally he turns to his North and walks 9 miles. How far is the from the starting point?
(A) 25 miles
(B) 2 miles
(C) 5 miles
(D) 4 miles
67. From the given statements, choose the conclusions which follow logically:
i. Some iPhones are mobiles
ii. Some mobiles are iPads
iii. Some iPads are tablets
I. Some tablets are iPhones
II. Some mobiles are tablets
III. Some iPads are iPhones
IV. All iPhones are tablets
(A) Only I & II follow
(B) Only I, II & III follow
(C) Only II & III follow
(D) None of these
Directions (Qs. 68 to 70): Read the passage below and answer these question.
Export cargo of a trader can go through seven cities P, Q, R, S, T, U and V. The following cities an move in both directions between them; S and U, P and Q, Q and R, V and T, R and T, V and U. Cargo can move only in one direction from U to Q.
68. If the trader wants the cargo to move from City S to City T then excluding cities S and T, what is the minimum number of cities that the cargo has to cross in transit?
69. If the trader wants the cargo to go to City U from City P through the longest route, how many cities will he be required to cross (excluding cities P and U)?
70. To move cargo from City P to City U, which of the following statements will minimize the number of cities to be crossed in transit?
(A) Connect cities U to R with a two-way connection
(B) Connect cities P to S with a one-way connection from cities S to P
(C) Connect cities U to Q with a two-way connection
(D) Connect cities R to V with a two-way connection
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: