Madhy Pradesh Professional Examination Board Jail Prahari/Van Rakshak
Recruitment Exam Held July 28, 2017
Part A General English
1. Out of the given four sentences, choose the one which is grammatically correct.
(a) I have drop the vase and it broke into pieces.
(b) I dropped the vase and it broke into pieces.
(c) I dropped the vase and it have broke into pieces.
(d) I drops the vase and it has broke into pieces.
2. Out of the given four sentences, choose the one which is grammatically correct.
(a) He has been living in New York for 1993.
(b) He has been living in New York since 1993.
(c) He have been living in New York since 1993.
(d) He have been living in New York from 1993.
3. Out of the given four words only one is spelt correctly. Find the word that is correctly spelt.
4. Out of the given four words only one is not spelt correctly. Find the word that is not correctly spelt.
5. Fill in the blank with the correct article.
………discovery of anaesthesia transformed medical surgery.
(c) No article required
Directions (Q. Nos. 6-8) In each of these questions fill in the blank with the correct preposition.
6. A Major-General is ………… a Brigadier in the British army.
7. My mother bought many loaves ………. bread from the bakery.
8. John Herschel was ……….. urbane, kindly and generous man.
(a) No article required
9. Out of the given four options, choose the correct conjunction to fill in the blank given in the sentence.
The doctors are doing all that they can, ……… she is still not breathing properly.
10. Out of the given four options choose one to join the two sentences given below to make a meaningful sentence. Rini is slim. She wants to go on a diet.
11. Out of the given option choose the most appropriate one is fill in the blank Computers …………. perform millions of calculations every second.
(b) ought to have
(c) could have
Directions (Q. Nos. 12-13) Find the word which can be replaced for the given sentence.
12. A building for lodging of soldiers.
13. A life history of a person written by somebody else other than the person himself.
Directions (Q. Nos. 14-15) In the given sentence there might be an error. Find out which part of the sentence has an error. If there is no error, mark your answer as (d) i.e., ‘No error’.
14. None of us are (a)/going to the marriage party.(b)/aren’t we?(c) No error (d)
15. The Pacific Ocean (a) / is deeper than (b)/ Arctic Ocean. (c) No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 16-17) A sentence with an underlined idiomatic expression is given. What is the meaning of the idiomatic expression ‘in the sentence given below?
16. It goes without saying that you will improve your skills with practice.
(a) It should be considered impossible
(b) It should be generally understood or accepted
(c) None of the above
(d) It is beyond common understanding
17. For most people a visit to the dentist is the result of a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea, if you go you suffer, and if you don’t go you suffer.
(a) having only two very pleasant choices
(b) having nightmares
(c) None of the above
(d) having only two very unpleasant choices
18. A sentence with an underlined word is given below. Find the word which is most similar in meaning to the underlined word.
The company deceived customers by selling old computers as new ones.
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-20) A sentence with an underlined word is given below. Find the word which is opposite to the highlighted word from the given options.
19. They enlarged the house by adding an East wing.
20. One by one the old buildings in the city have been demolished and replaced with modern tower blocks.
Part B General Science
21. Glucose is oxidized to ethyl alcohol in
(a) aerobic respiration
(b) anaerobic respiration
(d) None of the above
22. The process by which chemical change takes place in a substance when electric current is passed through it is called
(d) Thermionic conduction
23. Lichen represents
(a) symbiotic association of an alga and a fungus
(b) parasitic association of an alga and a fungus
(c) mycorhizial association
24. If a given force is applied on a smaller area of contact the pressure exerted by it
(c) does not change
(d) None of these
25. The phenomenon of the change in the path of the light as it passes from one optical medium to another is called
(a) Refraction of light
(b) Dispersion of light
(c) Both (a) and (b)
(d) Reflection of the light
26. Site of protein synthesis is the
27. The loudness of a sound depends upon its
(d) None of these
28. Which combination of chromosome is capable to determine the sex of a child?
29. Lubrication of moving surfaces
(a) increases friction
(b) removes friction
(c) has no effect on friction
(d) reduces friction
30. High boiling point of water is due to
(a) its high specific heat
(b) high dielectric constant
(c) hydrogen bonding
(d) low dissociation constant
31. CO2 and O2 balance in atmosphere is due to
(a) leaf anatomy
32. The number of unpaired electrons in carbon atom is
33. ‘Controller of cell’ is a
34. A monochromatic beam of light passes from a denser medium into a rarer medium. As a result
(a) its wavelength decreases
(b) its frequency decreases
(c) its velocity increases
(d) its velocity decreases
35. Which of the following is not a natural polymer?
36. Which of the following is the most essential for an electric circuit to work?
(a) A switch board
(b) A switch
(c) None of these
(d) An electric current
37. The heat energy emitted by Sun reaches the Earth through
(d) None of these
38. In which of the following processes light is absorbed?
39. The gas released in Bhopal tragedy was
(d) None of these
40. Glauber’s salt is
(a) Na2S2O3 ∙ 4H2O
(b) Na2S2O3 ∙ 5H2O
(c) Na2CO3 ∙ 3H2O
(d) Na2SO4 ∙ 10H2O
Part C General Knowledge
41. As per the Census 2011, the population of Madhya Pradesh is almost
(a) 7.7 crore
(b) 7.3 crore
(c) 7.5 crore
(d) 7.1 crore
42. On which of the following dates did Jayant Mallayya present the annual State budget of the financial year 2017-18 in the Legislative Assembly?
(a) February 28
(b) March 3
(c) March 1
(d) March 2
43. Ahmed Sher Khan is associated with the game of
44. Parsili is situated in the district of
45. In which year was the Narmada Valley Development Authority established?
46. In which year was the Madhya Pradesh State Forest Development Corporation established?
47. In which village is the Fair of Nagaji held?
48. Where was the second capital of Chandragupta II?
49. Who has been recently appointed as the Chief Secretary of Madhya Pradesh?
(a) Neeru Chadha
(b) Sahithi Pingali
(c) Basant Pratap Singh
(d) Raja Girinder Chari
50. Which of the following Mahal/Temple is located in Gwalior?
(a) Jahangir Mahal
(b) Sahastrabahu Temple
(c) Rani Roopmati Mahal
(d) Madan Mohan Palace
51. Which of the following rivers originate from the same plateau?
(a) Narmada and Sone
(b) Narmada and Betwa
(c) Shipra and Narmada
(d) Shipra and Sone
52. Which of the following cities was earlier called Narmadapuram?
53. Which of the following stadiums is not in Indore?
(a) Nehru stadium
(b) Holkar stadium
(c) Abhay Khel Prashal
(d) Thakur Ranmat Singh stadium
54. Which of the following States doesn’t border Madhya Pradesh?
(b) Uttar Pradesh
55. Which department does the Madhya Pradesh Water and Land Management Institute come under?
(a) Home Department
(b) Panchayat and Rural Development Department
(c) Department of Mineral Resources
(d) Public Works Department
56. Who was the first Speaker of Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly?
(a) Kashi Prasad Pandey
(b) Ishwardas Rohani
(c) Pt. Kunjilal Dubey
(d) Dr. Sitasharan Sharma
57. Who was the first Governor of Madhya Pradesh?
(a) Kailash Joshi
(b) Pattabhi Sitaramayya
(c) Sarala Greval
(d) Ravi Shankar Shukla
58. Who was the first Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court?
(a) Rohan Sachdeva
(b) Dayashankar Naag
(c) M. Hidayatullah
(d) HS Kamath
59. Which poet is known for the poem ‘Rasik Priya’?
60. The Kaytha sites related with Chalcolithic culture is in the district of
Part D General Hindi
Part E General Maths
81. Find the wrong term in the given number series.
3, 5, 11, 29, 87, 245
82. Find the least number which must be subtracted from 18265 to make it a perfect square.
83. A cistern is normally filled in 8 hours, but takes another 2 hours longer to fill because of a leak in its bottom. If the cistern is full, the leak will empty it in
(a) 20 h
(b) 16 h
(c) 40 h
(d) 25 h
84. The successive discount of 15%, 20% and 25% on an article is equivalent to the single discount of
85. The roots of the quadratic equation y2 + 3y + 2 = 0 are
(a) −2, −1
(b) 2, 1
(c) −4, 1
(d) 4, 1
86. If the side of an equilateral triangle is 28 cm, find its perimeter.
(a) 81 cm
(b) 82 cm
(c) 84 cm
(d) 83 cm
87. An isosceles right-angle triangle has an area 800 cm2. What is the length of its hypotenuse?
(a) 65 cm
(b) 40 cm
(c) 40√2 cm
(d) 30√2 cm
88. A, B and C undertake to do a work for Rs 707. A and B together do 5/7 of the work and rest is done by C alone. How much wages should C get?
(a) Rs 200
(b) Rs 102
(c) Rs 202
(d) Rs 150
Directions (Q. Nos. 89-90) What should come in place of the question marks in the following question/question series?
89. 9932 + 882 + 314 − ? = 7171 + 630
90. 350, 372, 396, ? 450
91. If a number is greater than 5 but less than 9 greater than 7 but less than 11, the number is
92. The simple interest on an amount at the rate of 5% per annum for 2 years and 3 years are respectively Rs 100 and Rs 150. Find principal amount.
(a) Rs 5000
(b) Rs 8000
(c) Rs 1200
(d) Rs 1000
93. If the mean of five observations x, x + 2,x + 4, x + 6 and x + 8 is 11, then the mean of the last three observations is
94. The lengths of two trains are 154 m and 246 m and they are running towards each other. The speeds of these trains are 52 km per hour and 28 km per hour, respectively. How much time will they take to cross each other?
(a) 14 sec
(b) 12 sec
(c) 18 sec
(d) 10 sec
95. Divide 94 into two parts in such a way that fifth part of the first and eight part of the second are in the ratio of 3: 4 is
(a) 20, 44
(b) 30, 64
(c) 35, 69
(d) 34, 60
96. Two trains running in the same direction at the speed of 40 km per hour and 22 km per hour completely pass one another in 1 minute. If the length of the first train is 125 m, the length of the second train is
(a) 125 m
(b) Can’t be determined
(c) 175 m
(d) 150 m
97. The population of a town is 8000. If the males increase by 6% and the females by 10%, the population will be 8600. The number of females in the town are
98. At present, the sum of the ages of A, B and C is 150 years, whereas 10 years ago, the ratio of their age was 5 : 4 : 3 respectively. Find the ratio of their ages 10 years hence.
(a) 6 : 9 : 5
(b) 7 : 6 : 5
(c) 4 : 3 : 5
(d) 7 : 5 : 3
99. Find the smallest of the following fractions
100. Find the largest of the following fractions.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: