DEFENCE & STRATEGIC STUDIES
PAPER – II
Note : This paper contains fifty (50) objective type questions of two (2) marks each. All questions are compulsory.
1. Who among the following stated that ‘security can be approached both objectively (there is a real threat) and subjectively (there is a perceived threat)’ ?
(A) K. Booth
(B) Arnold Wolfers
(C) John Mroz
(D) Raymond Aron
2. Which one of the following countries owns FATA ?
3. Which one of the following countries is said to have encapsulated the ‘String of Pearls’ strategy against India in the Indo-Pacific region ?
4. ‘Steam-Roller Tactics’ was used in which of the following wars ?
(A) Arab-Israel War of 1967
(B) Suez War 1956
(C) Arab-Israel War 1973
(D) Gulf War – I
5. Which one of the following North-East States of India is surround by Bangladesh from three sides ?
(D) Arunachal Pradesh
6. Who among the following stated that ‘religion is not the opium of the people, but the vitamin of the weak’ ?
(A) Regis Debray
(B) Karl Marx
(C) V.I. Lenin
(D) A.H. Nasution
7. Non-traditional security thread does not include
(A) Illegal Migration
(C) Drug trafficking and Hawala
(D) Foreign Trade
8. Who among the following argued that “Terrorism is not like a disaster before which we are helpless” ?
(B) George P. Shultz
(C) Bill Clinton
(D) G.W. Bush
9. The term ‘Equal Security’ is related with
(A) The UN High Commission for Refugees
(B) The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights
(C) Security Council
(D) League of Nations
10. Who among the following stated that ‘Geopolitics is a pseudo-science, erecting the factor of geography into an absolute’ ?
(B) N.J. Spikman
(C) Carl Haushofer
(D) Hans J. Morgenthau
11. Who among the following thinkers propounded the concept of “Sublimited Nuclear War” ?
(A) H. Kissinger
(B) Andre Beaufre
(C) Richard Haas
(D) Liddell Hart
12. Which one of the following countries conducted a nuclear test in February, 2013 ?
(D) North Korea
13. During the Cold War era, which one of the following trends was promoted by relaxation in military tensions ?
(A) Entente between the Super Powers, the US and the USSR.
(B) Détente between the Super Powers, the US & the USSR.
(C) Closure of the militaryindustrial complexes.
(D) Uninterrupted flow of military technology
14. The Strategic Defence Initiative (SDI) was conceived during the incumbency of one of the following US Presidents :
(A) Richard Nixon
(B) Ronald Reagon
(C) Bill Clinton
(D) Jimmy Carter
15. “Two Scorpions in a Bottle” is a saying related to one of the following
(A) Nuclear Deterrence
(B) Limited War
(C) Total War
(D) Low Intensity Conflict
16. Napoleon’s strategic and tactical innovations were analysed by Jomini and Clausewitz. Clausewitz was interested in philosophical considerations of war whereas Jomini was interested in which one of the following ?
(A) Mechanical aspects of strategy
(B) Strategy of decision
(C) Organization of military forces
(D) Concept of war strategy
17. Kautilya advocated six categories of troops, which of the following categories of troops constituted the standing army ?
(A) MAULA Troops
(B) BHRITA Troops
(C) SRENI BAL
(D) ATAVIKA BAL
18. Who said, “If you win, you need not have to explain……. If you loose, you should not be there to explain” ?
(A) Adolf Hitler
(B) Winston Churchill
19. North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) has its headquarters in which of the following cities ?
20. Which two heads of the State signed the INF treaty ?
21. Which of the following system of governance offers maximum satisfaction to the people in the fulfilment of their basic needs ?
22. Which of the following is not ratified by the United States ?
(D) CW Convention
23. ‘Jasmine Revolution’ took place in one of the following countries :
24. “Presslar Amendment” was related to one of the following :
(A) Nuclear non-proliferation needs
(B) Proliferation enhancing measures regarding nuclear arms
(C) Environmental pollution
(D) Nuclear threat reduction
25. The concept of ‘Cold War’ could be understood as one of the following :
(A) Propaganda War
(B) A condition of neither war nor peace
(C) A state of extreme political unfriendliness
(D) A hot peace
26. Which of the following two countries shall use India’s Long Range Identification and Tracking (LRIT) facility in sea ?
(A) Sri Lanka and Maldives
(B) Maldives and Mauritius
(C) Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
(D) Nepal and Bhutan
27. Golden Crescent Area is not famous for which of the following activities ?
(A) Arms trafficking
(B) Human trafficking
(C) Drug trafficking
(D) Nuclear trafficking
28. The term “Pashupati to Tirupati” was used for which of the following ?
(A) Red Corridor under the Left-Wing Naxalism
(B) Red Army of the erstwhile Soviet army
(C) PLA of the China
(D) Hagnah of Israel
29. The abbreviation CSCE stands for :
(A) Common Security & Common Economic Growth
(B) Conference on Security and Co-operation in Europe
(C) Collective System of Co-operation on Environment
(D) Collective Security in Conservation of Energy
30. Strategy of Indian Armed Forces to achieve cutting-edge technology is galvanised by the concept of :
(A) Regional Military Association
(B) Regional Maritime Act
(C) Revolution in Maritime Affairs
(D) Revolution in Military Affairs
31. Which one of the following is an external determinant of a defence budget of a Nation-State ?
(A) National Interest
(B) Threat Perception
(C) Commitment to Ideologies
(D) Technological Competence
32. Gulf of Mannar is located between :
(A) India – Pakistan
(B) India – Sri Lanka
(C) India – Indonesia
(D) India – Bangladesh
33. India’s only tri-service command is located at :
(C) Port Blair
(D) Karanjia Island
34. Which of the following organs of the Untied Nations has ceased to work ?
(A) International Court of Justice
(C) World Health Organisation
(D) The Trusteeship Council
35. UNCCD refers to
(A) United Nations Conference on Conventional Disarmament
(B) United Nations Convention on Combat Desertification
(C) United Nations Convention on Conflict Diffusion
(D) United Nations Conference on Combat Deforestation
36. Identify the emergence of the following organisations in a chronological order. Use the given code :
(A) NATO, SEATO, WTO, CENTO
(B) NATO, WTO, CENTO, SEATO
(C) WTO, CENTO, SEATO, NATO
(D) CENTO, SEATO, WTO, NATO
37. Arrange the following events in the chronological order they have occurred. Use the correct code given below :
(A) Panchsheel Agreement, Shimla Agreement, Tashkent Agreement, Lahore Agreement
(B) Panchsheel Agreement, Tashkent Agreement, Shimla Agreement, Lahore Agreement
(C) Lahore Agreement, Shimla Agreement, Panchsheel Agreement, Tashkent Agreement
(D) Shimla Agreement, Tashkent Agreement, Panchsheel Agreement, Lahore Agreement
38. Choose the correct code for Assertion (A) and Reason (R) given below :
Assertion (A) : The realist concept of power and its relation to security are located in the idea of international anarchy in the
changing global strategic scenario.
Reason (R) : Security dilemma gives rise to frequent use of military force.
(A) Both (A) and (R) are not true.
(B) Both (A) and (R) are true.
(C) (A) is correct, but (R) is not correct.
(D) (A) is not correct, but (R) is correct.
39. Choose the appropriate code for the Assertion (A) and Reason (R) as given below :
Assertion (A) : Balance of terror was not only inevitable, but also essential stabilizing factor in the Nuclear Age.
Reason (R) : The nature of nuclear weapons and the trends of nuclear proliferation have been essentially responsible for it.
(A) Both (A) and (R) are correct.
(B) Both (A) and (R) are not correct.
(C) (A) is correct, but (R) is not correct.
(D) (A) is not correct, but (R) is correct.
40. Match the following systems given in Table – I with countries of their origin given in Table – II with the help of the code given below :
41. Match the following books with their respective authors with the help of the code given below:
42. Identify the following treaties regarding Nuclear Weapon Explosions in its chronological order.
Use the correct code :
(A) Partial Test Ban Treaty, Threshold Test Ban Treaty, Peaceful Nuclear Explosion Treaty, PTBT Amendment Conference
(B) Peaceful Nuclear Explosion Treaty, Threshold Test Ban Treaty, Partial Test Ban Treaty, PTBT Amendment Conference
(C) Partial Test Ban Treaty, Peaceful Nuclear Explosion Treaty, Threshold Test Ban Treaty, PTBT Amendment Conference
(D) PTBT Amendment Conference, Partial Test Ban Treaty, Peaceful Nuclear Explosion Treaty, Threshold Test Ban Treaty
43. Match the Defence Public Sector Undertaking – DPSUs (List-I) with their Locations (List-II) and choose the appropriate code :
44. Match the following events in Table-I with their concluding countries in Table-II with the help of the code given below :
45. Match the following militant organizations (List-I) with their respective Indian State (List-II) and choose the appropriate code given below :
46. The creation of demilitarised areas and neutral states to prevent new wars in Europe was related to
(A) Treaty of Versailles
(B) Congress of Vienna (1814-15)
(C) League of Nations
(D) Treaty of Westphalia (1648)
47. The term ‘Preventive Diplomacy’ was coined by :
(A) George Bush
(B) Dag Hammarskjld
(C) Kofi Annan
(D) Boutros – Boutros Ghali
48. Arrange the documents of confidence building measures in Europe in ascending chronological order :
(A) Helsinki CBM Document, Stockholm CSBM Document, Vienna CSBM Document, Helsinki Document
(B) Helsinki CBM Document, Vienna CSBM Document, Stockholm CSBM Document, Helsinki Document
(C) Helsinki Document, Helsinki CBM Document, Stockholm CSBM Document, Vienna CSBM Document
(D) Vienna CSBM Document, Helsinki Document, Helsinki CBM Document, Stockholm CSBM Document
49. Identify the Chemical and Biological Weapons Treaties in descending chronological order :
(A) Chemical Weapons Convention, US-Soviet Chemical Weapons Agreement, Biological Weapons Convention, Geneva Protocol.
(B) US-Soviet Chemical Weapons Agreement, Chemical Weapons Convention, Geneva Protocol, Biological Weapons Convention.
(C) Biological Weapons Convention, Geneva Protocol, Chemical Weapons Convention, US-Soviet Chemical Weapons Agreement.
(D) Geneva Protocol, Biological Weapons Convention, Chemical Weapons Convention, US-Soviet Chemical Weapons Agreement.
50. Who among the following is known as the father of India’s Nuclear Programme ?
(A) Vikram Sarabhai
(B) Homi Jahangir Bhabha
(C) C.V. Raman
(D) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: