LABOUR WELFARE AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
Paper – II
Note : This paper contains fifty (50) objective type questions of two (2) marks each. Attempt all the questions.
1. Match the following :
2. Which one of the following is not the characteristic of planning ?
(A) It deals with future
(B) It involves selection of particular course of action
(C) It is pervasive
(D) It is not strategic
3. Premature evaluation is a type of
(A) semantic barrier
(B) psychological barrier
(C) organisational barrier
(D) personal barrier
4. Which of the following is not a feature of systems approach ?
(A) A system is a combination of parts
(B) Parts and sub-parts are related to one another
(C) It is not necessary for a system to have a boundary
(D) System transforms inputs into outputs
5. Which of the following organisations is a two-dimensional structure ?
(A) Functional structure
(B) Matrix structure
(C) Line structure
(D) Divisional structure
6. Job description includes information about
(A) Job responsibilities, duties and working conditions.
(B) Job responsibilities, duties and worth in terms of wage and salary.
(C) Job responsibilities and qualifications for performance.
(D) Job responsibilities, duties and qualifications for performance.
7. Differentiation between line and staff functions is necessary because it helps in
(A) providing specialized services.
(B) maintaining adequate checks and balances.
(C) maintaining accountability.
(D) All the above.
8. Which of the following refers to analysis of handwriting to determine writer’s basic personality traits ?
(D) Both (B) and (C)
9. The five basic features of Scanlon plan of incentive payment are
(A) control, individuality, competence, involvement and sharing of benefits.
(B) cooperation, identity, competence, involvement and sharing of benefits.
(C) control, individuality, commitment, involvement , and sharing of benefits.
(D) cooperation, identity, control, involvement and sharing of profits.
10. Which of the following is a process of systematically identifying, assessing and developing organisational leadership to enhance performance ?
(A) Manpower planning
(B) Career planning
(C) Succession planning
(D) Human Resource planning
11. Who is the profounder of the sociopsychological approach to Human Resource Development ?
(A) T.W. Schultz
(B) Lorraine Corner
(C) Lim Teck Ghee
(D) David McClelland
12. Read the following statements on HRD need analysis. Identify the one which is not true :
(A) HRD needs can be identified at strategic, organisational, operational, task and person levels
(B) HRD needs can be diagnostic, analytic, compliance oriented and proactive
(C) competency mapping, performance appraisal and clarity of career paths identify HRD needs at task level only
(D) Task related KSA analysis and training need analysis are integral part of HRD need analysis
13. Assertion (A) : Performance Appraisal cannot be error free and unbiased.
Reason (R) : The Appraisal Methods are covertly influenced by human judgement which may be vitiated by inter-personal
(A) Assertion (A) is right, Reason (R) is wrong.
(B) Assertion (A) is wrong, Reason (R) is right.
(C) Reason (R) does not subscribe to the Assertion (A).
(D) Both Assertion (A) and Reason (R) are right, and Reason (R) validate Assertion (A).
14. Match the following theories of career planning with their propagators :
15. When Human Relations training is given to managers the method adopted is :
(A) In-Basket Exercise
(B) Role-play method
(C) Managerial Grid Training
(D) Sensitivity Training
16. When team-building can be attempted by creating artificial teams in which people get opportunity to experiment and learn from their behaviour in a less threatening context, it is based on :
(A) Behaviour Modification Approach
(B) Action Research Approach
(C) Simulation Approach
(D) Team Role Approach
17. Match the Themes with the respective approaches :
18. Who has extended the Vroom’s Expectancy Theory of Motivation by suggesting that motivation is not equal to satisfaction and performance and by depicting what happens after performance ?
(A) Harold Kelly
(B) Edward Tolman
(D) Porter and Lawler
19. Which of the following is an invisible part but a powerful template that shapes, what happens at the workplace ?
(A) Organisational culture
(B) Organisational climate
(C) Organisational dynamics
(D) Organisational structure
20. Match the following :
21. The trusteeship approach to industrial relations was advocated by :
(A) Karl Marx
(B) Max Weber
(C) Allan Flanders
(D) Mahatma Gandhi
22. Which of the following is a machinery for the settlement of Industrial Disputes in India ?
(A) National Commission on Labour
(B) Wage Board
(C) Industrial Tribunal
(D) Standing Labour Committee
23. In which year, the International Institute of Labour studies was established ?
24. Match the following Acts/Code with the provisions :
25. Who advanced the concept of ‘Three tier institutional structure’ of Industrial Relations ?
(A) John T. Dunlop
(B) Allan Flanders
(C) Kochan, Katz & Mckersie
(D) Roy Adam
26. Which of the following is not a correct statement pertaining to the meaning of trade union ?
(A) It is a continuous association of wage earners for maintaining or improving the conditions of their working lives.
(B) It is a society of individuals in one or more professions for the purpose of protecting and advancing, members’ economic
(C) It is a combination with an objective of regulating the relation between workmen and workmen, workmen and employer, employer and employer
(D) It is any combination, whether temporary or permanent formed primarily for regulating relations between the two parties.
27. Who formed the Bombay Millhands Association ?
(A) Sorabjee Shaprujee Bengali
(B) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(C) N.M. Lokhande
(D) V.V. Giri
28. In which country the trade union movement began with industrial unions ?
(A) Great Britain
29. Which one is not a right of a recognized union ?
(A) A right of ‘Check-off’
(B) To use notice board on the premises of the undertaking
(C) To appear on behalf of the union on domestic inquiry
(D) inspecting the undertaking
30. The criteria for recognition of trade union under the code of discipline are
(a) union claiming recognition should have been functioning for atleast one year after registration.
(b) the membership of a union should cover atleast 5% of the workers in that establishment.
(c) A union can claim recognition as representative union for an industry in a local area if it has 25% workers as members in that industry in that area.
(d) When a union is recognised there shall be no change in the position for 5 years.
(A) All the provisions are correct
(B) All the provisions are incorrect
(C) Only (a) and (c) are correct
(D) Only (d) and (b) are correct
31. Which of the following subjects is not enumerated in the ‘concurrent list’ of the Indian constitution ?
(A) Oil fields
(B) Trade Unions
(D) Vocational and technical training of labour
32. Which of the following statements relating to the Employees’ Compensation Act is not correct ?
(A) This Act has a link with the Workmen’s Compensation Act
(B) This act is the outcome of the amendment that was made to the Workmen’s Compensation Act
(C) This act does not have any provision relating to temporary disablement of workmen
(D) This act has a provision relating to permanent partial disablement
33. Under the Maternity Benefit Act, a woman employee would get a medical bonus of :
(A) Rs 3000
(B) Rs 3500
(C) Rs 4000
(D) Rs 4500
34. Which section of the Factories Act deals with appointment of Welfare Officers ?
(A) Section 45
(B) Section 49
(C) Section 51
(D) Section 55
35. The Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act, 1988 provides for extension of the benefits to shops and commercial establishments employing a minimum of :
(A) 7 persons
(B) 8 persons
(C) 10 persons
(D) 20 persons
36. Which of the following is not considered to be a legal status for a registered union ?
(A) No power to acquire and hold both movable and immovable property
(B) Power to contract with other entities
(C) Perpetual succession and common seal
(D) A body corporate by the name under which it is registered
37. Under the Minimum Wages Act, which of the following can not be appointed by the appropriate government by notification under the official gazette for deciding claims arising out of payment of less than the minimum rates of wages ?
(A) Any commissioner for Workmen’s compensation
(B) Any officers of the Central Government exercising functions as a Labour Commissioner for any region
(C) Any officer of the State Government not below the rank of Labour Commissioner
(D) Any officer not less than the rank of District Magistrate
38. Match the following according to the objectives of legislations :
39. Which of the following is ‘true’ as per the provisions of the Industrial Disputes Act ?
An employer need not issue any “Notice of Change” in respect of 4th Schedule of the Act.
(A) Where the change is affected in pursuance of any settlement.
(B) In respect of any matter specified in the schedule affecting workmen.
(C) In respect of conditions of service applicable to any workman.
(D) None of the above.
40. Which of the following amendments of Industrial Employment (standing order) Act provided for payment of subsistence allowance by the employer to a suspended employee pending enquiry against him ?
(A) Industrial Employment (standing order) Amendment Act, 1956
(B) Industrial Employment (standing order) Amendment Act, 1963
(C) Industrial Employment (standing order) Amendment Act, 1982
(D) Industrial Employment (standing order) Amendment Act, 1961
41. The ‘New Lanark’ experiment is associated with :
(A) Human Relations at workplace
(B) Networking Organisations
(C) Welfare Movement in Industries
(D) Behavioural Theory
42. Social security provided by a ‘means test’ is called :
(A) Social Insurance
(B) Mutual Insurance
(C) Social Assurance
(D) Social Assistance
43. Match the following Themes with the concepts of Labour Welfare :
44. In which of the following approaches ‘good will’ is considered as an important goal of labour welfare work ?
(A) Placating Theory
(B) Public Relations Theory
(C) Fundamental Theory
(D) Philanthropic Theory
45. For which of the following categories of workers, there is no provision for welfare fund ?
(A) The Beedi workers
(B) Workers working in Mica Mines
(C) Cine Workers
(D) Workers working in the Printing Industry
46. Under which segment of the Indian Constitution, the Labour Policy is designed ?
b. Fundamental Rights
c. Directive Principles of State Policy
d. Fundamental Duties
(A) Only c
(B) a, b and c
(C) a and c
(D) a, b, c and d
47. The conversion of the ‘nominal wages’ into ‘Real Wages’ is done by which of the following indices ?
(A) Human Development Index
(B) Poverty Index
(C) Wholesale Price Index
(D) Consumer Price Index
48. Match the following Themes of Theories of Wages with their propagators :
49. Which of the following statements about wage differentials is not true ?
(A) Wage differentials can be attributed to imperfections in employment market.
(B) Social prejudices do not influence the wage differentials.
(C) Inter-industry wage differentials are bound to occur.
(D) Geographical wage differentials are a common phenomenon.
50. Which of the following formulae is used for determining Minimum wages ?
(A) Adarkar’s Formula
(B) Rege Committee’s Formula
(C) Dr. Aykroid’s Formula
(D) Royal Commission on Labour’s Formula
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: