Uttarakhand Public Service Commission (UKPSC) Review Officer (RO)/Assistant Review Officer (ARO) Recruitment Examination Held on June 26, 2016
1. Arrange the following movements of Mahatma Gandhi in the right order from the beginning
(a) Champaran, Ahmedabad, Kheda, Non-cooperation
(b) Ahmedabad, Champaran, Kheda, Non-cooperation
(c) Kheda, Champaran, Ahmedabad, Non-cooperation
(d) Non-cooperation, Champaran, Kheda, Ahmedabad
2. What was ‘Sangam’ in ancient India?
(a) Sangha or Mandal of Tamil poets.
(b) Tamil King’s court poets
(c) Tamil settlement
(d) Mesolithic graves
3. Who built the Khajuraho temples?
(a) Vijaynagar Kings
(b) Bahmani Sultans
(c) Chandel Kings
(d) Gupta Kings
4. The real name of Sabarmati Ashram
(a) Gandhi Ashram
(b) Satyagraha Ashram
(c) Finiks Farm
(d) Dandi Ashram
5. From 1906 to 1920, the role of Md. Ali Jinnah during freedom struggle of India was
(d) Nationalist and Secular
6. BR Ambedkar published three periodicals for the safeguard of Dalit rights. Which of the following is not one of them?
(a) Mook Nayak
(b) Wahishkrit Bharat
(c) Wahishkrit Samaj
(d) Equality Janta
7. By which date did the British Government declare to grant India full self government?
(a) January 26, 1946
(b) August 15, 1947
(c) December 31, 1947
(d) June 30, 1948
8. The first Sultan, who started the work of translation of Hindu religious texts into Persian language, was
(b) Alauddin Khilji
(d) Firoz Shah Tughlaq
9. Which was the highest gold coin in the reign of Akbar?
10. Who started the ‘Silk-route’ (Marg) for Indians?
11. ‘Privy Purse’ was related to whom in the post-independence period?
(b) Former kings
(d) India planters
12. Who nominates the 12 members for Rajya Sabha in India?
(a) Prime Minister
(b) Chief Justice
(d) Vice President
13. In the Constitution of India, the residuary powers are entrusted to
(c) Both (a) and (b)
(d) None of these
14. By which Constitutional Amendment, the subject of ‘Education’ was transferred from State list to Concurrent list?
15. Which of the following state does not have ‘Legislative Council’?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
16. The concept of Public Interest Litigation (PIL) originated in
(a) United Kingdom
(c) United States of America
17. The Constitution of India declares India as
(a) A voluntary Federation
(b) A Confederation
(c) A Union of States
(d) A Federation
18. Who settles the dispute regarding the election of the President of India?
(a) Supreme Court
(b) Election Commission
(d) None of the above
19. Who propounded the theory of ‘Economic Drain’?
(a) MK Gandhi
(b) Jawahar Lal Nehru
(c) Dadabhai Naoroji
(d) RC Dutt
20. The first ‘Lokpal Bill’ was introduced in the Parliament of India in
21. The first book written by MK Gandhi was
(a) My Experiments with Truth
(b) Hind Swaraj
(c) India of My Dreams
(d) Key to the Health
22. The main object of a ‘Budget’ is
(a) to ensure accountability
(b) to serve as a tool of management
(c) to facilitate economic analysis
(d) All of the above
23. ‘Parliamentary form of government’ functions on the principle of
(a) separation of powers
(b) checks and Balances
(c) close relationship between Legislature and Executive
(d) control of Judiciary on the Executive
24. The ‘Zero Hour’ in the Parliament of India starts
(a) first hour of the sitting
(b) last hour of the sitting
(c) at 12.00 noon
(d) at any time
25. Which part of the Constitution of India is related to the ‘citizenship’?
26. The value of is
27. If 0.75 : X : : 5 : 8, then value of X is
28. The average age of a class of 22 students is 21 years. The average age increases by 1 year when the teacher’s age is also included. What is the age of the teacher?
(a) 48 years
(b) 45 years
(c) 43 years
(d) 44 years
29. A man has some hens and cows. If the number of their heads be 48 and the number of feet equal to 140, then the number of hens is
30. If 20% of a = b, then b% of 20 is the same as
(a) 4% of a
(b) 5% of a
(c) 20% of a
(d) 25% of a
31. Mahesh sells 18 eggs at the price for which he bought 20 eggs. Find his profit or loss percentage.
32. Count the number of squares in the figure given below :
33. If light is called ‘morning’; morning is called ‘dark’; dark is called ‘night’; night is called ‘sunshine’; then normally when do we sleep?
34. A family has a man, his wife, their four sons and their wives. The family of everys on also has 3 sons and one daughter. Find out the total number of male members in the whole family.
35. K is the brother of N and X. Y is the mother of N and Z is the father of K. Which of the following statements is not true?
(a) K is son of Z.
(b) Y is wife of Z.
(c) N is always the brother of X.
(d) Z is the father of X.
36. In a row of 30 girls, when Shivani was shifted to her left by 6 places, her number from the left end of the row becomes 8th. What will be the number of Urvashi from the right end of the row, if Urvashi was 4 places of right of Shivani’s original position?
37. Select the missing figure from answer figures.
38. Raman borrows Rs 12000 for 3 years at 10.5% per annum simple interest; while Rahul borrows the same amount for the same period at 10% compounded annually. Who pay more and by how much?
(a) Raman, Rs 132
(b) Raman, Rs 145
(c) Rahul, Rs 158
(d) Rahul, Rs 192
39. The mean of the ages of father and hisson is 27 years. After 18 years, father will be twice as old as his son. Their respective present ages are
(a) 42, 12
(b) 40, 14
(c) 30, 24
(d) 36, 18
40. The next term in the series is :
B2E, D5H, F12K, H27N, ? :
41. Pointing towards Bhuvan, Madhu said, “He is son of only son of my father”. How is the mother of Bhuvan related to Madhu?
42. Find the missing number in the third triangle :
43. Fill in the blank :
4, 6, 12, 14, 28, 30 ?
44. ‘A’ is twice as good a workman as ‘B’ and together they finish a work in 18 days. In how many days ‘A’ alone will finish the work?
(a) 31 days
(b) 25 days
(c) 27 days
(d) 29 days
45. The ratio between the speeds of two trains is 7 : 8. If the second train runs 400 kms in 4 hours, then the speed of the first train is
(a) 70 km/h
(b) 75 km/h
(c) 84 km/h
(d) 87.5 km/h
46. Anil after travelling 6 km towards East from his ho use realized that he has travelled in wrong direction. He turned back and travelled 12 km towards West, then turned right and travelled 8 km to reach his office. The straight distance of his office from his house is
(a) 12 km
(b) 14 km
(c) 10 km
(d) 20 km
47. Find the missing number.
48. Free notebooks were distributed equally among children of a class. The number of notebooks each child got was one-eighth of the number of children. Had the number of children been half, each child would have got 16 notebooks. In total how many notebooks were distributed?
49. In a certain code BREAKTHROUGH is written as EAOUHRBRGHKT. How is DISTRIBUTION written in that code?
50. A man is facing towards West and turns through 45° clockwise, again 180° clockwise and then turns through 315° anti-clockwise. In which direction is he facing now?
51. In a mixture of 60 litres, the ratio of milk and water is 2 : 1. To make this ratio 1 : 2, what quantity of water (in litres) is to be added to the mixture?
52. If one-third of one-fourth of a number is 15, then three-tenth of that number is
53. A clock is started at 12 o’clock noon. By 10 minutes past 5, the hour hand has turned through
54. 39 persons can repair a road in 12 days, working 5 hours a day. In how many days will 30 persons of same efficiency working 6 hours a day, complete the work?
55. The difference between a two-digit number and the number obtained by interchanging the positions of its digits is 36. What is the difference between the two digits of that number?
56. Major Somnath Sharma, who was honoured with Paramvir Chakra posthumously in 1947 belonged to
(a) Gorkha Rifle
(b) Garhwal Rifle
(c) Dogra Regiment
(d) Kumaon Regiment
57. The Lakhu cave having ancient rock paintings is located in
58. The court language of Katyuris was
59. The pass connecting Darma Byans valley is
60. The objective of forming the ‘Praja Mandal’ was a
(a) to get freedom from British rule
(b) to get freedom from Gorkha rule
(c) to organize people for social reform
(d) to free the people from mi sule of Tehri State
61. The Khatling glacier is the origin place of
(a) Jalkur river
(b) Bhilangana river
(c) Pilang Ganga river
(d) Balganga river
62. Which of the following is not a foot hill town?
63. The famous ‘Kailash-Manasarovar Yatra’ passes through
(a) Niti pass
(b) Lipulekh pass
(c) Lampiya Dhura pass
(d) Barahoti pass
64. Which one of the following is not a railway terminus point in Uttarakhand?
65. In which district does the ‘Nandhaur Dun’ lie?
(a) Udham Singh Nagar
66. In the Himalaya, the ‘Main Central Thrust (MCT)’ separates
(a) Lesser Himalaya and Outer Himalaya
(b) ‘Dun’ valleys and the Shivaliks
(c) Greater Himalaya and Trans-Himalaya
(d) Greater Himalaya and Lesser Himalaya
67. The historical name of Uttarakashi is
68. During which period did the colonial conflict start in Uttarakhand?
(a) Mughal period
(b) Gorkha period
(c) Dogra period
(d) British period
69. Which of the following was known as ‘Kubjamrak’ in ancient times?
70. In which language are the ‘Pandukeshwar copper plates’ written?
71. In which of the following dances, the song is not sung?
72. The ‘Dhawaj temple’ of 9th century in Dwarahat is also known as
(a) Maha Mrityunjay temple
(b) Katarmal temple
(c) Gujardev temple
(d) Kachheri temple
73. Which of the following tribes worship the deity ‘Bhumsen’?
74. ‘Brass City’ in Uttarakhand is being set-up at
75. In which year will the 38th National Games be organized in Uttarakhand?
76. Which city of Uttarakhand was recently ranked 61st in the list of ‘Clean Cities’ of India?
77. The President’s Rule in Uttarakhand was enforced on
(a) March 20, 2016
(b) March 25, 2016
(c) March 27, 2016
(d) March 29, 2016
78. Which of the following is dominant in heredity?
(c) Colour blindness
79. The drug produced through biotechnology for cancer treatment is
80. How many lobes are found in human lungs?
81. The bird that can move its upper jaw is
82. Which of the following develops immune system in the body?
83. Which of the following causes Swine flue?
(d) Tape worm
84. The main element of protein is
85. To which theory of conservation is related the ‘first law of thermodynamics?
86. In view of environmental problems, the use of which insecticide has been reduced?
87. By which of the following can petrol fire be extinguished?
(c) Carbon dioxide
(d) Saw dust
88. Fruit ripening hormone is
(d) All of these
89. Seeds of Sunflower plant contain
90. The ‘parsec’ is the unit of
91. The first mechanical computer designed by Charles Babbage was called
(b) Analytical Engine
92. Which of the following is an example of non-volatile memory?
(a) Cache memory
(d) None of these
93. A device that converts digital signal to analog signals is
(a) a modem
(b) a packet
(c) a keyboard
(d) None of these
94. Which of the following is the most powerful type of computer?
(b) Super computer
(c) Micro computer
(d) Mini computer
95. Which of the following is used to manage Data Base?
(a) Operating System
(d) None of these
96. The term ‘Pentium’ is related to
(b) hard disk
97. What type of process creates a smaller file that is faster to transfer over the internet?
(d) None of these
98. ‘ALU’ stands for
(a) Arithmetic Long Unit
(b) All Longer Unit
(c) Around Logical Units
(d) Arithmetic and Logical Unit
99. Which of the following is not an input device?
(b) Light pen
100. In which generation of computers, transistors were used?
101. Which one of the following rivers crosses the Equator twice?
102. Which of the following pairs (Country-Capital) is not correctly matched?
(a) Brazil – Brasilia
(b) Tunisia – Tunis
(c) Algeria – Algiers
(d) Morocco – Marrakech
103. What is the correct north-south sequence of the States of India along the Myanmar border?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram
(b) Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Nagaland, Manipur
(c) Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram
(d) Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Nagaland, Mizoram
104. Which of the following countries is called the ‘Land of Thousand Lakes’?
105. Which of the following countries is famous for livestock ranching in the world?
106. With which of the following countries does India have its longest international boundary?
107. As per 2011 census, which of the following States had the highest literacy rate?
(c) Himachal Pradesh
108. Which of the following mountain peak is not located in Uttarakhand?
(d) Nanga Parbat
109. A per United Nation’s 2015 estimates, how much will be the world population by 2030?
(a) 8.2 billion
(b) 8.5 billion
(c) 8.8 billion
(d) 9.1 billion
110. At which of the following coasts of India is the average sea level measured?
(c) Cochin (Kochi)
111. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) The Godavari is the largest river of South India.
(b) The Kosi river is called the ‘Sorrow of Bihar’.
(c) The Brahmaputra is an antecedental river.
(d) The Ganges originates from Gangotri.
112. Which of the following pairs (State-Date of formation) is correctly matched?
(a) Haryana – November, 1 1966
(b) Mizoram – June 25, 1986
(c) Telangana – August 15, 2014
(d) Chhattisgarh – November 20, 2000
113. Which of the following State is the largest producer of pulse in India?
(a) Madhya Pradesh
(b) Uttar Pradesh
114. Which of the following country has the largest reserve of Bauxite of the world?
115. Which of the following State has the largest forest area in India?
(c) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Andhra Pradesh
116. In which of the following year the ‘National Population Policy (NPP)’ was announced in India?
117. The ‘World Population Day’ is observed on
(a) April 11
(b) May 11
(c) July 11
(d) August 12
118. Who propounded the ‘Mobility Transition Model of Migration’?
119. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(a) Tharu – Uttar Pradesh
(b) Gaddi – Himachal Pradesh
(c) Konyak – Kerala
(d) Toda – Tamil Nadu
120. As per 2011 census, which of the following states of India had the highest sex-ratio?
(c) Uttar Pradesh
(d) West Bengal
121. Which of the following is called ‘Heart of the City’?
(a) Central Business District
(b) Zone of Better Residence
(c) Zone of Better Social Amenities
(d) Commuters Zone
122. Who made the Functional Classification of Indian Cities?
(a) RL Singh
(b) GS Gosal
(c) Ashok Mitra
(d) AB Mukherji
123. The National Award for Child Welfare was instituted in the year
124. The term ‘Ecosystem’ was first used in 1935 by
125. Which of the following States incorporated ‘Environmental Education’ as a subject school curriculum for the first time?
126. The main cause of Ozone depletion is
(a) carbon monoxide
(b) carbon dioxide
(d) Chloro-fluoro carbon
127. Which of the following canal is responsible for land-degradation in Rajasthan?
(a) Ganga canal
(b) Sirhind canal
(c) Indira Gandhi canal
(d) Agra canal
128. ‘Biodiversity’ is
(a) totality of all species, all genes and all ecosystems.
(b) variety of plants
(c) variety of animals
(d) totality of cultural environment
129. Which of the following is responsible for acid rain?
(a) Nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide
(b) Nitrogen oxide and carbon monoxide
(c) Sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide
(d) None of the above
130. Match the following
Plant Climatic Region
A. Megatherm 1. Tundra region
B. Mesotherm 2. Equatorial region
C. Microtherm 3. Tropical region
D. Hekistherm 4. Temperate region
(a) A – 1; B – 2; C – 3; D – 4
(b) A – 1; B – 3; C – 2; D – 4
(c) A – 3; B – 4; C – 2; D – 1
(d) A – 2; B – 3; C – 4; D – 1
131. With which of the following is the central government’s Standup India’ scheme promote entrepreneurship?
(a) Women and Minorities
(b) SC/STs and Women
(c) SC/STs and Minorities
(d) All of the above
132. On which of the following routes will India’s first bullet train run (up to 2024)?
(a) New Delhi-Ahmedabad route
(b) New Delhi-Mumbai route
(c) Ahmedabad-Mumbai route
(d) Pune-Ahmedabad route
133. Which of the following States has been declared as ‘ India’s first State’ to have adopted organic farming?
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
134. Who created a new world record in scoring the fastest century in Test cricket history in February, 2016?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) Chris Gayle
(c) Brendon McCullum
(d) Virat Kohli
135. The multi-billion dollar project TAPI on which work started in December, 2015 is related to
(a) natural gas
(b) solar energy
(c) road construction
(d) railway line
136. The year 2016-17 will be observed by SAARC nations as
(a) Year of Democracy and Development
(b) Year of Fight Against Terrorism
(c) Year of Cultural Heritage
(d) Year of ‘Save the Earth’
137. Aung San Suu Kyi was barred from swearing in as the President of Myanmar because
(a) she has a criminal record
(b) her party did not win absolute majority in elections
(c) the military installed its own President
(d) her sons are British citizens
138. Due to the outbreak of which virus, did the WHO declare a Public Health Emergency on international concern in February, 2016?
(c) Swine Flue
139. Which of the two European cities were the vitims of IS terrorist attacks in November, 2015 and March, 2016
(a) London and Brussels
(b) Paris and Brussels
(c) Frankfurt and Brussels
(d) Copenhagen and Brussels
140. Which of the following cities are hosts for 2016 and 2020 Olympic Games, respectively?
(a) Rio de Janerio and Tokyo
(b) London and Rio de Janerio
(c) Tokyo and Rio de Janerio
(d) London and Tokyo
141. Which State had the highest per capita income during 2014-15?
142. Who is the Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog of India?
(a) Raghuram Rajan
(b) Arun Jaitley
(c) Arvind Panagariya
(d) Rahul Gandhi
143. Manodaya Kavya was composed by
(a) Bharat Kavi
(d) Gumani Kavi
144. The rank of India in HDI according to Human Development Report 2015 of UNDP was
145. The ‘Closed Economy’ is the economy in which
(a) only export takes place
(b) budget deficit is less
(c) only import takes place
(d) there is no foreign trade
146. The National Institute for Rural Development (NIRD) is situated in
(d) New Delhi
147. ‘VAT’ is imposed
(a) directly on consumer
(b) on first stage of production
(c) on all stages between production and sale
(d) on final stage of production
148. What is ‘Super-301’?
(a) Modern computer
(b) A variety of rice
(c) An insecticide
(d) American trade law
149. Who is called the Father of White Revolution in India?
(a) Dr. Norman Borlaug
(b) Dr. MS Swaminathan
(c) Dr. Verghese Kurien
(d) Dr. William Gande
150. Which of the following taxes in India is collected by Panchayats?
(a) Sale tax
(b) Custom tax
(c) Land revenue
(d) Tax on local fair
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: