Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates:
LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MEDICAL LAB. TECH.
FIRST SEMESTER – November 2008
ML 1809 – MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
Date : 08-11-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Answer ALL the following. (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- Expand a) ASR b) CPT c) ABCC d) TWGDAM.
- What is RNA polymerase holoenzyme?
- Define chargaff’s rule of molar equivalence.
- Differentiate poly glutamine from non-poly glutamine disease.
- What are the clinical symptoms of xeroderma pigmentosum?
- Distinguish cisterns from crista.
- Define nucleic acid hybridization.
- Mention the role of catalase and oxidase in peroxisomes.
- What are the rare forms of sickle cell disease?
- Distinguish oncogenes from proto-oncogenes
SECTION – B
Answer any FOUR of the following. (4 x 10=40 marks)
- Explain the models of plasma membrane.
- Give an account on cytoskeleton, cilia, flagella and ribosome.
- Describe genetic code.
- Describe in detail the structure of DNA and the separation of strands.
- Give an account on the functional elements of chromosomes.
- Explain the translocation of mutation in Chronic myelogenous leukemia, Burkitt’s lymphoma and Wilm’s tumor.
SECTION – C
Answer any TWO of the following. (2 x 20=40 marks)
- Explain the mechanism of replication.
- With a neat flow chart for establishing the molecular diagnostic laboratory, explain Laboratory design and Laboratory personnel.
- What are syndromes? Explain Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Prader – willi syndrome.
- Describe the types of gene mutations