Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates:
National Defence Academy 2016 (NDA):
Recruitment of the candidates to Army, Navy and Air force of the National Defense Academy is through National Defense Academy Entrance examination which is generally held twice a year on April and September months.
This exam is conducted by Union Public Service commission (UPSC).
National Defense Academy is the joint service academy of Indian Armed forces where three services such as Navy, Army and Air force training are given before they go to the pre-commissioning training of their respective departments.
The NDA centre is located at Pune, Maharashtra. This is the first tri-service academy in the world.
The course of training is for three years. Firstly, the candidate must mention his preference among the two choices such as National Defense Academy and Naval Academy. However, the final decision is going to be based on his marks in the examination.
If a candidate chooses National Defense Academy, then he has to select among the three wings of choices such as Air force, Navy and Army.
Indian Army is a best place where you can never stop learning. No where you will get such a phenomenal opportunity to hone and upgrade your skills.
NDA offers the candidates wide variety of opportunities in various streams such as armament technology, Research and Development stream, technical stream, arts, computer science and Engineering courses.
The Indian army also runs some of the country’s most prestigious institutes and colleges which provide best education and courses related to the Indian army and various technical courses related to that.
Eligibility Criteria for NDA 2016:
- A candidate must either be a citizen of India or Nepal or Bhutan or Tibetian refugee who came to India before January 1st, 1962.
- Only unmarried male candidates who are born not earlier than 2nd July, 1997 and not later than 1st July 2000 are eligible.
- For the candidates choosing “Army” wing in the National Defense Academy, students must have completed 10th+12th classes from the recognized board of school.
- For choosing Air force and Naval wings, students must have completed 10th+12th classes with major subjects as science and mathematics.
- Those candidates who are currently pursuing 12th standard can also apply for this examination. But, however, they should produce their completed certificate within the specified time.
- Candidates must be physically fit according to the physical standards of National Defense Academy and Naval Academy examination.
- Candidates who has resigned or withdrawn on any disciplinary grounds from any training academies are not eligible to attend this examination.
How to apply?
- Candidates can apply online through the official website http://www.upsc.gov.in
- Brief instructions are given regarding filling the application form in appendix-II.
- Candidates who are already in Government service including the candidates serving in the armed forces, Indian navy, students of military schools or Sainik schools should apply directly to the examination commission.
- Candidates are expected to pay a fee of Rs.100/- either through cash by depositing in any braches of SBI or through net banking facility.
- The eligible candidates are offered e-admit card three weeks before the commencement of the examination.
- The e-admit card will be available for download from the official site. No admit card will be sent personally through post.
- All candidates are requested to fill up the clear and correct details of your name, address, email id, contact number for the further communication with the examination commission.
- For any other queries, clarification, candidates can contact the UPSC’s Facilitation Counter near Gate “c” of its campus.
Pattern for NDA:
The main subjects which are included in this examination are;
- Mathematics with maximum marks 300. Total duration for this section is 2 ½ hours
- General Ability Test maximum marks 600. Total duration for this section is 2 ½ hours
- The question papers will contain multiple choices of questions only. The students have to select the correct answer from the multiple choices and mark with the ball point pen.
- Negative marks are applicable for every wrong attempt.
- The question papers are available in two languages such as English and in Hindi.
- The candidates are not allowed to make use of calculators, logarithmic tables, papers inside the examination hall.
Syllabus for NDA examination:
The most important chapters that are covered in Mathematics are Algebra, Venn diagram, matrices and determinants, Trginometry, differential calculus, Analytical geometry, Integral calculus and differential equations, Vector algebra, Statistics and probability.
- General ability test:
Part A covers English language questions such as Grammar, reading comprehension, vocabulary to test the candidate’s proficiency in English.
Part B covers General Knowledge topics.
Important dates for NDA:
Date of notification: January 2nd, 2016
The online application (part 1 and part 2) can be filled from: January 2nd 2016 to January 29th 2016
Last date for the payment of fee (offline): 28th January
Last date for the payment of fee (Online): 29th January
Admit card availability: Three weeks before the commencement of the exam
Last date for the submission of application form: 29th January 2016
Date of examination NDA 2016: 17th April 2016
Written exam results will be declared on: July-August 2016
SSB interview for the selected candidates in the written exam: July 2016 to Sept-Oct 2016
The Union Public Service Commission shall prepare the list of qualifying candidates who have cleared the written examination. Such candidates are next allowed to attend Intelligence and personality test where the candidates will be assessed on officer’s potentiality.
This is a two staged selection process which selects the candidates based on the psychological and intelligence test results of the students.
Those candidates, who clear all the two stages, have to submit their original certificates along with one photocopy of each of the certificates.
Along with this the candidates must satisfy the above said eligibility conditions strictly. Only then, the candidates are finally selected.
Candidates who are applying for Air force wings of NDA, are given Pilot aptitude test. Based on the results secured by the candidate, he/she are further allowed to the next level of interview with the Air force board. A candidate who fails in this test cannot apply for the National Defense Aptitude examination for the Air force wing or general duties branch or Naval air arm.
Centres of examination:
It takes place in most of the cities of India. Few of them are Chennai, Madurai, Delhi, Udaipur, Ranchi, Hyderabad, port Blair, Agartala, Goa, Patna, Udaipur, Lucknow, etc.,
Books to be referred for NDA exam:
Here are the lists of books suggested by the toppers of NDA examination. They are:
- Quantitative aptitude by R.S.Agarwal
- Objective General knowledge and current affairs by Disha Experts
- Pathfinder for NDA and NA entrance examination by P.K.Mittal, Neetika Goyal
- NDA/NA topic wise solved question papers by Disha experts
- Mathematics for NDA and NA by R.S.Agarwal
Sample questions for NDA preparation:
- The function f(x)=x(1-x) defined on (0,1)
- Has a minimum value of ¼
- Has a minimum value of ½
- Has a minimum value of ¼
- Has neither minimum nor maximum
- What is the sum of the direction cosines of Line L?
- None of the above
- What are the direction ratios of the normal to the plane?
- None of the above
- What is the equation of the plane?
- x + y –z =0
- -3x + 2y –z +6 =0
- X + y + z =0
- None of the above
- What is the value of xyz – x –y –z ?
General Ability Test
- Find the antonym for the following word in the given sentence:
- The students council was DISSOLVED as the university closed for vacation.
- His success is a TRIBUTE to his mother’s dedication for her children:
- The vitamin which is water soluble and generally excreted through urine is called as ______
- In India regular soil is found in ___
- Deccan plateau
- Indo gangetic plane
- Himalayan region
- Coastal plains
- Which one of the following tribes practices fraternal polyandry?
- The Bhil
- The Toda
- The Munda
- The Oraon
Result declaration for NDA:
The candidates who have taken part in this exam can check their results in the official website of UPSC after one month of the examination. Students must know their roll number in order to check their results. The students who have cleared the written test are sent to the next round called SSB interview which consists of many steps for a student to get placed in the meritorious list.
The dates of the NDA counselling will be announced by the examination conducting authorities.
The students can also get the Answer key from the official website of UPSC after few days of the examination. The answer key contains the actual answer for the questions in the question booklet.
Students are also allowed to download the score card/result card from the official website of UPSC after the result declaration.