Dengue deaths in Kolkata, Kamarhati | Kolkata News

KOLKATA: Dengue claimed two more lives on Saturday and Sunday, including a seven-year-old girl from south Kolkata’s Regent Park, taking the toll in the state to 20. This is the third dengue death in the city this year. A 35-year-old homemaker died of dengue at Kamarhati in North 24 Parganas which is in the grip of a severe outbreak.
Seven-year-old Pragya Saha died of dengue at a south Kolkata private hospital on Saturday, taking the toll to three in the city this year. Even though the number of affected has been fewer in Kolkata despite a major outbreak in the neighbouring district of North 24 Parganas, all the three deaths have occurred within the last two weeks which has led to an alarm in the civic and health circles. The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) authorities have pointed out that the dengue situation usually takes a turn for the worse in September which often sees a spurt in the number of deaths.

A resident of Regent Park under ward 97, Pragya was admitted to CMRI Hospital with severe dengue symptoms on Thursday. The youngster had already tested positive for the virus and gone into a shock following heamorrhage. Pragya was admitted to the paediatric ICU of the hospital and put on ventilation.
According to hospital sources, she had been admitted in a very serious condition and could not be revived. Her symptoms kept getting severe and Pragya bled profusely which eventually led to her death at around 11.30pm on Saturday. Hundreds are suffering from dengue across Tollygunge and Garia, civic sources said.
The city recorded its first dengue death on September 6 when a 24-year-old Salt Lake resident died of the disease. On September 19, a 74-year-old woman succumbed to dengue in south Kolkata’s Ramgarh.
Meanwhile at Kamarhari, homemaker Arpita Paswan died at a Belgharia nursing home early on Sunday. Suffering from fever since last Tuesday, Arpita had been admitted to Sagar Duutta Medical College Hospital on Thursday. While she was treated for fever, no test was done to confirm dengue. She was released on Friday after her fever subsided but Arpita fell ill again that night. According to family members, she started running a high temperature again and had to be rushed to a nursing home in Belgharia.
An NS1 test confirmed dengue and Arpita was put on ventilation. But her condition kept deteriorating and she passed away early on Sunday.

Source link

Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates:

View Full List ...