LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
FIRST SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2010
CH 1502 – ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Date : 10-11-10 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
PART – A
Answer ALL questions. (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- What first aid will you do if a student spills phenol in his hands?
- Write answers on the basis of significant figures for the following:
- a) 7 + 0.08 + 2.9
- b) 20 X 127/10.8
- Name the types of adsorbents used in chromatography.
- Define Rf.
- Can we use phenolphthalein as indicator for the titration of Na2CO3 against HCl?
- Define the term normality.
- Mention the factors that influence precipitation.
- What are complexometric titrations? Give one example.
- Mention any two applications of TGA.
- What do you understand by the term ‘reaction interval’ in thermal analysis?
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions. (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- List out the differences between accuracy and precision.
- What are the advantages of a single pan balance over a double pan balance?
- When is distillation done under reduced pressure? Draw a sketch of a distillation set.
- Describe ‘hot filtration’ and give its significance.
- Write a note on gas chromatography.
- What are the conditions for a good primary standard?
- Find out the solubility product of silver chloride. Its solubility in water is
9.6 X 10-9 mol dm-3.
- Calculate the pH of a buffer solution containing 0.2M of acetic acid and 0.02 M of
sodium acetate. (Ka of acetic acid = 1.8 X 10-5 at 25oC)
- Discuss one theory of acid-base indicators.
- Explain adsorption indicators. Give examples.
- Explain homogenous precipitation with an example.
- Explain the thermal analysis of Ca(COO)2.H2O.
PART – C
Answer ANY FOUR questions. (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- a) Write a detailed outline about the types of errors. (5)
- b) Find out the (i) mean (ii) median and (iii) standard deviation for the
following data : 20.2, 19.3, 19.9, 21.5, 20.7. (5)
- a) Explain the Principle and applications of column chromatography. (5)
- b) Write briefly on ion exchange chromatography. (5)
- a) When is Soxhlet extraction resorted to? Explain its principle with a diagram. (5)
- b) Derive Henderson equation for an acid buffer and mention its applications. (5)
- a) How is Chloride ion in a solution estimated? (any one method) (5)
- b) Explain post precipitation. (5)
- a) Explain Von Weiman ratio. (5)
- b) What are the characteristics of metal-ion indicator? Give an example. (5)
- a) Discuss on the various components for the instrumentation of DTGA. (5)
- b) Explain the factors that influence a thermogram.