LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
CH 2102 – GENERAL CHEMISTRY FOR PHYSICS & MATHS
Date : 23-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Part – B
Answer ALL questions. (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- Why do transition elements show variable valencies?
- Mention the biological importance of Chlorophyll.
- Define inductive effect with an example.
- Draw the optical isomers of tartaric acid.
- State Raoult’s law.
- Draw the structure of testosterone.
- What is an auto catalyst? Give an example.
- Mention the uses of Buna-S rubber.
- What is meant by hyper thyroidism?
- How will you prepare polyethylene?
Part – B
Answer any EIGHT questions. (8 ´ 5 = 40 marks)
- Draw the geometrical isomers exhibited by square planar complexes.
- Calculate EAN of the metal ion in the following complexes.
- i) ) [Co(NH3)6] 2+ ii) ) [Fe(CN) 6]4-
- Explain the SN1 mechanism of alkyl halides.
- Why phenol is more acidic than ethyl alcohol?
- How will you distinguish between maleic and fumaric acids?
- Describe Beer – Lambert’s law.
- Mention any five characteristics of a catalyst.
- Write a note on following:
- Activation energy b) Grotthus Drapper’s law.
- Explain the replication of DNA.
- List the application and risks of genetic engineering.
- Discuss chain growth and step growth polymerization.
- Give the synthesis of PET and give its uses.
Answer any FOUR questions. (4 ´ 10 = 40 marks)
- a) How is hardness of water determined using EDTA?
- b) What is a bidentate ligand? Give an example. (7+3)
- a) Discuss the optical isomerism exhibited by octahedral complexes.
b)Write Friedel Crafts alkylation reaction with mechanism. (6+4)
- a) Explain the conformational isomers of n-butane.
- How will you determine the pH of a solution by glass electrode?
- Derive an expression for the rate constant of a second order reaction involving two different reactants.
- a) Compare thermal and photochemical reaction. b) Give equation for the preparation of following
- i) PVC ii) Buna-S (6+4)
- a) How is poly acrylate synthesized? Mention its uses.
- b) Explain the Galvanization method of prevention of corrosion. (5+5)