LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY& ADVAN.ZOOLOGY
FOURTH & THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2007
PB 4200 / 3200 – GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY
Date & Time: 26/04/2007 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
- Choose the correct answer (5 x 1 = 5 )
- Protozoans belong to
- a) monera b) protista c) viruses d) animalia
- EMB agar is a __________ medium.
- a) differential b) selective c) enrichment d) general
- ______ is involved in the transfer of genetic material between different cells.
- a) pili b) fimbria c) flagella d) mesosomes
- Thiobacillus is involved in _______ cycle
- a) nitrogen b) carbon c) sulfur d) phosphorus
- The device that involves conversion of biochemical signal to electric signal is called
- a) biosensor b) electrosensor c) thermistor d) bioconvertor
- State whether the following statements are True or False (5 x 1 = 5 )
- Viruses are free living entities.
- Enrichment cultures are used routinely for all microbes.
- DNA polymerase is involved in replication of DNA.
- Bacterial diseases can be controlled by fungicides.
- Proteases and lipases are used in the formulation of detergents.
III. Complete the following (5 x 1 = 5)
- Among fungi, sexual reproduction is absent in ______________.
- The time taken by a bacterium to divide into two cells is called ________.
- Lac operon concept explains the principle of __________.
- Little leaf of brinjal is caused by _________________.
- _______ is a widely used method for preservation of milk.
- Answer the following each in about 50 words (5 x 1 = 5)
- What are microalgae?
- Define axenic cultures.
- What are plasmids?
- Give the composition of Bordeaux mixture.
- What are vaccines?
Answer any five of the following each in about 350 words. Draw necessary diagrams.
(5 x 8 = 40)
- Enumerate the general characteristics of viruses.
- Explain the stages of microbial growth.
- What is conjugation? Add a note on the movement of DNA during conjugation.
- Describe the disease cycle in wheat rust.
- Bring out the commercial applications of microbial enzymes.
- Give an account of Nitrogen cycle.
- Describe the process involved in Penicillin production.
- Give the methods for food preservation from microbial spoilage.
Answer the following questions in about 1500 words. Draw necessary diagrams
(2 x 20 = 40)
- a. Explain how bacteria are classified based on their shape and flagellation. Add a note on the ultrastructure of bacterial cell
- Write notes on : i) Transduction ii) Transformation.
- a. Write notes on the pathogen, symptoms and control measures for
- i) Citrus canker ii) Tobacco mosaic disease
- Describe the process involved in primary and secondary treatment of waste water.